Cold air intake ?

Chevroletz28

Jul 3, 2021
Miami
2016 Duramax, installed a Wehrli cold air intake and within a month got a high heat mass air flow sensor code , thought maybe I might have touched sensor prongs , replaced mass air flow and within a month same code bad sensor again , replaced sensor again it’s been 2 weeks , good so far , any input , thinking about going with an HSP intake , sent Wehrli an e-mail haven’t heard back ?

19trax95

Jun 30, 2021
I assume it was an oiled filter?

If so, it's possible it was over oiled and the oil covered the maf sensor. They are fairly sensitive to debris, especially oil, coating them.

Chevroletz28

Jul 3, 2021
Miami
Aware of the oil issue on filters & contaminating the sensor , but Wehrlie filters only come dry with a hood ? Thanks for the reply , but I thought for sure someone else had the same problem, I even changed the hood to a 2017 hood that actually has forced air into the engine, I think the aluminum tube is getting hot from the motor heat & giving me the code (high heat mass air flow sensor ) ???

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
LML’s have a high heat code, didn’t know that.
but maybe it’s because you installed a hot air intake. And just throwing a 17 hood on does literally nothing unless you make an air box and sealed it to the hood.

Chevroletz28

Jul 3, 2021
Miami
Code was ( High Heat Mass AirFlow Sensor ) & I did make an air box & the hood is plumbed , thanks for your reply, I,am not doing 10.98 @124mph / this is my daily driver , Ryan’s 66 mm turbo / Stainless down pipe / up pipes / PPE manifolds , air dog lift pump, CP-3 conversion , naturally a full delete, 4” exhaust, you came off a little cocky , just filling

u in , if anyone’s willing to help looking for an EGR gauge , I have a 1st series Edge. , doesn’t read EGR temps Thanks Bud , ps new to this page 1st post , started off a little rough with (gmduramax ) Shits Broke

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Can you read the intake air temp? If you are in fact getting cool air it’s either a bad sensor or bad wire.
This is a great idea. Don’t think GM was trying to sound like a dick, but he is right. A lot of these “cold air intakes” do nothing but pump hot air into your motor, especially the metal ones. Like he said, if you can find a scanner that will tell you live data (less than $100 at harbor freight) that will tell you your intake air temp and you check it when the code pops up and it’s within range, you have an issue elsewhere. If it is hotter than range, you might have to rethink your intake in the truck. What exactly was the code? The exact code of you can. Maybe someone can look up the parameters.

Chevroletz28

Jul 3, 2021
Miami
Thanks, definitely thinking about changing the intake, $450 pissed away , gonna regroup after I put the new Turbo on etc. get back with u guys after the build , thanks 4 the input

jrkrace

May 4, 2008
Connecticut
I just installed a Banks intake on my 2019 and I was surprised at how small the factory openings where for the stock air filter box. The box fender inlet was 1/2 the size of the hole in the fender. The Banks kit has a bigger hole to match the fender as well as a huge hole underneath to grab the air from under the truck. IAT temps are a degree or two above ambient according to the Banks Idash that I also have. Now, maybe that was on purpose in order to suck more air from the hood intake, but I could be wrong.On my LBZ, the airbox openings were more in tune with the fender. I haven't dug into the LML yet..