Clicking noise when take foot off gas

J-Rad

Dec 30, 2021
This noise is driving me crazy.. 04 gmc 3500 dually. After you take off and let your foot off the accelerator theres a clicking noise and it will do it everytime. I had a problem with the tranny not down shifting and it would get stuck in high gear and if I put it in park or reverse the driveshaft would spin like crazy. In order to fix that I replaced the valve body and then it would shift fine. Then I noticed a grinding that was coming from the tranny so I took to a tranns shop and Just had tranny rebuilt, new transfer case and new u joints. And it’s still making thag noise so I guess it’s safe to say that it’s something else, but what in the world is it any suggestions??

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Moved to LB7 section. Made a guess....

Clicking noise could be two things rubbing/releasing. Ever check the torsion bar crossmember bushings to see if they are still good? Could even be something broken in the suspension, or even the driveshaft yoke sticking...

J-Rad

Dec 30, 2021
Moved to LB7 section. Made a guess....

Clicking noise could be two things rubbing/releasing. Ever check the torsion bar crossmember bushings to see if they are still good? Could even be something broken in the suspension, or even the driveshaft yoke sticking...
Jacked the truck off the ground had all 4 tires spinning in 4x4 and out and I didn’t hear noise once but once I put truck back on the ground and drove it can hear it again. Cross member bushing are good. The slip yoke and that u joint have a tiny bit of play but I doubt that’s it. But I am going to change that u joint, should I change the slip yoke as well?

J-Rad

Dec 30, 2021
Update: took drive shaft off and drove truck in 4x4 and it did not make the noise so I’m assuming bad u-joint or slip yoke so I am going to change them 3 things so everything from tranny to rear end is new.

KyleC4

Tech
Dec 30, 2016
Bay Area
Slip yoke should not require replacement. I thought you had said all the u joints had been replaced in your first post. But there was a bulletin way back for these truck that had a leak come from slip yoke so you could change it out if it’s original one. They are not crazy expensive. Just buy quality brand parts

J-Rad

Dec 30, 2021
Slip yoke should not require replacement. I thought you had said all the u joints had been replaced in your first post. But there was a bulletin way back for these truck that had a leak come from slip yoke so you could change it out if it’s original one. They are not crazy expensive. Just buy quality brand parts
They where changed a couple months back before tranny rebuilt but still made noise and is still making it after tranny rebuilt and new transfer case, so I figured to test slip yoke to remove drive shaft and drive it in 4x4 and the noise is gone.

dndj

Boost!
Apr 13, 2019
Oregon
The click happens as soon as I let my foot off the gas everytime

What he is asking, is does the clicking noise vary with road speed (mph) or with engine speed? Put the trans in neutral and let the motor idle as your are decelerating. If the noise sticks around, likely related to something in the drivetrain.

J-Rad

Dec 30, 2021
What he is asking, is does the clicking noise vary with road speed (mph) or with engine speed? Put the trans in neutral and let the motor idle as your are decelerating. If the noise sticks around, likely related to something in the drivetrain.
Vary with mph