Clean exhaust filter/reduced engine power

C.Y.T.

Aug 9, 2015
Hey folks, Capt Y.T. here.

So on my last fishing trip after towing my boat for 6 hours the clean exhaust filter light came on and then later the reduced engine power came on. So I took it to a Chevy dealer and had them do a manual regen. That got me to the launch but on my way back after fishing the reduced engine power light came back on. At this point I also noticed a bunch of back air pressure sounding by the turbo. Had the dealer do another manual regen and this time they found a code for a faulty mass air flow sensor. They didn't have the sensor so I have one on order.

My question is: would a faulty mass air flow sensor cause my truck to not do the regen or clean the exhaust filter. I hope this solves the problem although I'm thinking of modifying the exhaust filter and doing a DPF delete.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
What's the mileage and year on the truck? A faulty maf can interrupt regen yes. If you noticed a change in tone of the turbo/exhaust I'd suspect a plugged dpf. And if it's that bad it probably won't clean out with service regen(s)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

hdrolling

Freedom Defender
May 11, 2011
Fayetteville, NC
At this point I also noticed a bunch of back air pressure sounding by the turbo.

If your new MAF sensor doesn't do the trick, have them look for a ripped boost tube boot or even a crack in your boost tube.

Last summer I was getting a loud air pressure sound and black smoke along with the same "clean exhaust filter" and reduced power warnings.

I had a ripped boot on the boost tube which was making the turbo not work and just the engine was trucking along blowing nice dirty black smoke under load.

Just an FYI in case the sensor doesn't fix it.

rfletes79

Mar 5, 2010
Galt, Ca 95632
The MAF or even the air cleaner can cause your symptoms. Deal with this daily. If the dpf is truly plugged it can be cleaned but needs to be removed and cut open for servicing. Then welded back together once clean. There is a correct way of doing this and most dealers will say you have to replace it in-lue of cleaning

Lane1k

Jun 11, 2015
Hey guys my 2012 lml has the engine light on and 5 miles down the road the exhaust light came on. Then started counting down the miles til 65 mph limit. Also saying poor quality exhaust fluid. Don't know if it had anything to do with it but did just install 1 new battery in truck. Any ideas?? Please help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Llyduckhunter

Apr 3, 2015
Iowa
Hey guys my 2012 lml has the engine light on and 5 miles down the road the exhaust light came on. Then started counting down the miles til 65 mph limit. Also saying poor quality exhaust fluid. Don't know if it had anything to do with it but did just install 1 new battery in truck. Any ideas?? Please help

I have seen this before depending on the codes but the truck I fixed I had to completely drain the def tank and clean it and relearn everything and it worked. But with out the codes I'm just guessing that's the problem