Checking ball joints

JCase02LB7

Jul 23, 2015
Wondered if you guys Jack your truck under the cross member or lower control for checking ball joints, was thinking lower but had someone tell me puts load on knuckle and should do cross member. Also anyone have problems with kn brackets getting loose and clunking on intake tube, I think that's my clunking noise but was checking ball joints to be sure.

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
Under control arms, perfect example, I put 90% of a new front end under my truck and I jacked it up under the frame and checked everything it all checked out, got to town to get it inspected and brand new ball joint was bad, didn't feel it with all the weight on it.

JCase02LB7

Jul 23, 2015
So under frame doesn't relax the suspension at all? Well under the control arm is how I ended up checking it and everything seemed fine, gotta be that kn knocking around under hood, that or I'm hearing iss

rgullett83

Oct 27, 2008
Illinois
If you jack it up on the frame the torsion bars will pull the lower control arm down as well as the knuckle, and upper a arm, thus keeping the suspension loaded. Position jack on lower control arm, and check for play by grabbing the tire at 10 and 6 o clock, or use a pry bar under the tire

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

JCase02LB7

Jul 23, 2015
Ok yeah that's exactly what I did and no play or noise, so ball joints should be good then, I kinda thought it something else when I first heard the clunking and it's been doing it awhile, getting little more often that's why I'm thinking iss, but I know that kn is loose from bracket and makes a noise so not sure how loud that would be while driving