Changing RV batteries

fajitatone

Almost Stock
Jul 6, 2007
WA
www.fajita.net
So I bought a used RV a while ago, Full-Timed in it for 2+ years, then put it in storage. The batteries were already trash when I bought it and now, since it sat for about 2 years, the batteries are officially toast. I want to replace with 4x 6V 200+AH batteries. Looking at Titan or Interstate. The ones in it were from Batteries Plus Bulbs (previous owner installed them but never maintained them).

Ready for suggestions.

*Mods please move to where you think is appropriate, thanks.

Thanks in Advance!

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
I used to love interstate. Pop owned a shop and that’s all he uses as there’s a distribution center about 10 minutes from us. But in the last 10 years I’ve had zero luck with them lasting. Long time ago I bought Exide batteries and they lasted 7 years in my k10 which may go months without cranking.

Otherwise I’m a very big fan of Deka batteries. Never had any issues with them. That’s what my Exides were replaced with due to age

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Zak, I think the OP is looking for some deep cycle batteries not cranking.

What about the Trojan T105?

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
1st question, are the batteries shared starting and house? Not certain if its a pull type or motorhome by description.

2nd question is are you boon docking? If not, then do you really need that many batteries? Both of my RV's had single batteries. At hunting lease we did a little boon docking, but generator would run most of the time keeping the single battery up, would even run the heater all night with no issues.

3rd, do you want to stick with 6v or would you consider swapping to 12v?

4th, do you have a battery disconnect? If not, put one in and it will help protect the batteries from drain while in storage.

1st RV had a Duracell from Batteries Plus in it. I don't know what batterie is in the current RV.

You can replace 4-6v x 200 ah with 4-12x100 ah and have the same capacity. I am making the assumption the 2x are wired in series and the series are wired in parallel to make a 12v system.

rcr1978

Apr 1, 2007
Spring Creek, NV
I say get the trojans I haven’t found anything better for the price. Ive got 4 in mine and run a oxygen machine, cpap, heater all night and the tv for a few hours while going to bed. My old trailer had the normal rv fridge and about 10 days the batteries were dead with two batteries while letting it set. My new one has the full size fridge and it was dead after sitting 5-6 days with 2 batteries. Ive got 600 watts of solar and 4 batteries so no more problems for me.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Zak, I think the OP is looking for some deep cycle batteries not cranking.

What about the Trojan T105?

I sorta gathered this. But it was late and I wasn’t thinking correctly. My point still stands on interstate. Dad bought two deep cycle interstates for the boat and the damn things never worked right. Might have just been bad eggs tho. Sorry for the rant gents.

garyhenrich

Jan 23, 2020
I agree with above, don’t buy batteries that show a CCA number, or ones for cars, or ones that say marine on them, not even the RV/marine.

True deep cycles will list the AmpHour rating not the ColdCrankingAmps.

Golf Cart batteries are best and least expensive option. If money is no issue, then you can look at AGM or Lithium batteries.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Trojan is good, but they also sell powertron. Same battery, just less warranty. I would check golf cart shops as that is where you'll get your best prices. Also look online and craigslist. A local shop knocks off $15 a battery if you ask for the online price.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Anything made by East Penn manufacturing will serve you well. I sell A Lot of batteries and they seem to have the best quality, there are about a dozen or more brands made by them...

fajitatone

Almost Stock
Jul 6, 2007
WA
www.fajita.net
I say get the trojans I haven’t found anything better for the price. Ive got 4 in mine and run a oxygen machine, cpap, heater all night and the tv for a few hours while going to bed. My old trailer had the normal rv fridge and about 10 days the batteries were dead with two batteries while letting it set. My new one has the full size fridge and it was dead after sitting 5-6 days with 2 batteries. Ive got 600 watts of solar and 4 batteries so no more problems for me.

I’m thinking of adding solar eventually, because we don’t have a generator. Usually plugged in. Would like to be able to boondock overnight and get a small generator for the daytime so we can go places that don’t have hookups.

fajitatone

Almost Stock
Jul 6, 2007
WA
www.fajita.net
Thanks to everyone. I had 4 6V batteries connected as two 12V batteries in parallel. But they were old so even when I got the RV I never got more than 3 hours on battery. It’s a DRV Mobile Suite from 2007. It has 2 air conditioners, washer, dryer, convection microwave, home theatre receiver, 2 TV’s so the AC load is high. I would not use the high power stuff at night when not plugged in. Would love to be able to run an air conditioner overnight on the hotter summer days.

Trojan, for condoms AND batteries!!

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
If you want to run A/C over night you need to do some careful calculations because it will take quite some AHs. You will likely need a fairly large bank so you don't run them down too far and damage them.

We won't be able to help you much without knowing the size/draw of the unit