Car hauler trailers

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
When looking at car haulers, is the trailer GVWR considered the trailer weight + the vehicle weight or are they rated only for what they can carry?
I figure Id be carrying a 5500# pickup most of the time.

For those of you who have them, what options do you like to add? I already have a 9000# winch to use.

Any mfgs to look into or stay away from?

Just idle curiosity for now, unless I find something used.....but it might help someone down the road.

Last edited:

xtremebikr04

Jan 17, 2011
Vermont
Gvwr is the same on a trailer as it is on cars, trucks, etc. it’s the weight of the vehicle/trailer in your case plus the load.

carter_44

May 11, 2010
AZ
Easiest way to explain...if you have a 10K GVWR trailer and the trailer itself weights 2500 lbs then the weight you can legally carry on said trailer is 7500.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
I bought a 2008 22' performance gooseneck.6k winch and twin 5200lb axles, pulls like a dream with my half ton on it.

Benny315

Benny
Feb 11, 2019
Backwoods, Savannah, NY
I am leaning more towards a Tilt Deck trailer for myself. No more wrestling ramps for me!! One that's a split deck for attachments up front and a winch.. With a locking tool box for straps and chain binders ect.

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
One of my friends has a 20' Kauffman tilt. I used it to bring the donor truck home from Missouri. Towed great. I've used ramps too and don't have a preference.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Big Tex and Kauffman would be my top 2 choices.

I hardly see Kauffman in California and usually the hauler is from out of state, but I believe that's because there may not be a direct distributor here. I have seen them all over though in my travels for work and the look really nice.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I would get a trailer with dual 5200 or 6k 6 lug axles under it. Puts you well into a safe area on a 6k load. 3500 axles will do it on a light trailer but won’t be nice on bearings and brakes will feel weaker in comparison. Brakes on both axles would be good too.

As for ramps, mine have not come out in 4-5 years. 4x4 and lockers is way faster

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I figured a twin 5000#-axle trailer would be the way I have to go. No surprise there.

I have a brand new 9000# winch, so ramps/tilt dont make one bit of difference to me. :)

Mikey52

Sep 20, 2018
Try to go the torsion axel route. When empty it tows exceptionally smooth. No bouncing.

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
Based on my trailer experiences, I would look for a couple of things:

Wet suspension bolts if not torsion (verdict is out on torsion vs leaf)
Oil bath axles
Brakes on both axles
Load angle (my 24' with 5' ramps is STEEP)

I needed a trailer, so I picked up an Iron Bull with a 102" wide deck (recommend getting as wide as possible).
Whatever trailer you get, if it has ez-lube axles, bring it home, jack it up, spin tire and pump in lots of grease. Dexter does not adequately grease the axles at the factory. After the first trip, jack it up and shake the wheels looking for bearing play, most likely you will need to adjust them. Dexter uses a Chinese bearing, and the factory bearing set seems a bit too loose.

matthew86

Mar 16, 2018
Eastern WA
I would get a trailer with dual 5200 or 6k 6 lug axles under it. Puts you well into a safe area on a 6k load. 3500 axles will do it on a light trailer but won’t be nice on bearings and brakes will feel weaker in comparison. Brakes on both axles would be good too.

As for ramps, mine have not come out in 4-5 years. 4x4 and lockers is way faster

This. I have never had a Kaufman or longhorn trailer. Only one I would say steer clear of is load trail, unless something has seriously changed. I have a 10k 20’ big Tex car trailer that is a good unit, but if you can or it makes sense in your situation, go gooseneck. Oil bath hubs are less/easier maintenance, but I only have them on my goosenecks. I’m sure someone puts them on a car hauler. I have a PJ and a big Tex flatbed goosenecks and they have both been good, but are beyond what you’re looking for. In my opinion, I would stay away from aluminum trailers. What you gain in corrosion resistance, you lose in longevity especially if you are using your equipment hard and taking it into rough areas. I know you have a winch for it, but man are tilt decks nice regardless unless you’re loading like Chevy1925. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk