Can you check for a bent push rod?

duramax-rob

duramax-rob
Nov 26, 2008
mt. home, ar
Is there any way to check for a bent piston connecting rod while the engine is still in the truck and the heads still on? I know you can check with the heads off, but don't want to tear it down if there is a way. Didn't seem possible to go thru glow plug hole.

Thanks Rob

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
You will have to pull the valve cover to remove the push rod, or did you mean connecting rod? If you meant connecting rod, you can do a compression check.

Janimal444

Jun 25, 2012
Salem, NH
Thanks. Yes I did mean piston connecting rod. Couldn't low compression also mean a bent valve, burnt valve or blown head gasket?

Yes, low compression could mean a variety of problems, and would not be limited to a bent rod.

I do not believe you can check for a bent rod without pulling the head, but someone can chime in here who would know better than me.

baggedLB7

Goer
May 1, 2011
Utah
In any of those cases your going to pull the head anyway right?
So I would do a compression check and then dig into it if needs be.

03dirtymx

Aug 15, 2012
Knoxville, IL
You can pull the injectors and then using a dial indicator to see if a cylinder is not coming up as high as the rest. A compression check can help narrow down which cylinder you need to measure and compare it with a another cylinder by checking heights at top dead center... You dont even have to use a dial indicator, just helps to find true tdc. You can measure the difference in height with anything that will fit in the whole a use a common point like the top of the injector bore to measure off of. JMO

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Is it possible to go thru the glow plug hole? Looks easier than going thru injector hole.

Thanks Rob

Probably but it won't be as accurate as going straight up and down on top of the piston.
Compression check would be the best first step though.