Cadillac CTS4 Front diff question

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
Is anyone familiar with the AWD system in a 2010 CTS4, and/or GMs policies as to what constitutes a failure?I've been noticing what feels kinda like a CV binding in low speed sharp turns, and starting further back, I can hear 'springy clicking' in turns under power - it's not real loud and easy to miss, but it sounds similar to the sound made when the U-Joint on my truck failed and was binding.

Anyway, I was under the car this weekend changing the oil, and in looking at the CVs, I discovered that the passenger side output shaft on the diff has what I would consider an alarming amount of slop for a car with 61k on it. It's not as bad as my trucks DS output shaft, which definitely needs to be dealt with, but it's definitely sloppier than my friends 08 LMM's DS output shaft (virtually no play) and it has 190+k on it.If I were able to measure it, I would guess that the deviation you could measure at the end of the shaft where it joins the CV is probably 2-3mm. We're not talking a small amount of normal clearance that will allow you to move it enough to hear the movement and maybe barely feel it - You can clearly see the movement.

I suspect something's failed (probably the bearing, if I had to guess) and it needs to be repaired/replaced, but before I call the dealer, I figured I'd see what others think.