Buyers Beware:

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Just like Craig's List, do a little research before buying and selling in the Garage Sale section.

If the guy has a slim "profile" (yahoo addy, not much info, etc) and no history, and you don't know them, you are gambling.

If something looks too good to be true, or doesn't "feel" right, there are lots of parts in the world, just skip that one.

DuramaxDiesels and it's staff are not responsible for private transactions that go sour, but we do like to hear about them. We normally remove Garage Sale priviledges from people who botch transactions. Ask Wade.

Not to be confused with this Waid.:thumb:

disposablehero

used soldier
Mar 29, 2014
Safe way to buy from another member that doesn't like PayPal?

I guess he has had bad luck with PayPal and wants to use direct funds like western union or money order. That's not safe for me at all. So I found a site escrow.Com. funds sit in an account till I receive parts then they are released. Seems to be a safer option for both parties. Just scary buying from someone with a 0 post count. Mine is low here but have a perfect itrader rating on several other forums. I can provide those though.

Any other ideas to make it easy?

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
I wouldn't use Western Union or any other ways of payment like that with someone you don't know or doesn't have a history or others that can vouch for them.

I don't know the Escrow site you refer to but I'm sure they exist and is a better option.

The only other option is if you can locate a member that is near the seller and ask them to make the transaction for you. I have done this in the past with the purchase of a car.

If the sale or buy is legit those involved should be willing to do what ever is necessary to make everyone comfortable in the exchange . If someone is being vague or difficult then that should be a warning. You can never be to careful . Communication is key you should contact each other by phone, (not texting) that is a must.

duramaxzak

Wanna be puller!
Nov 22, 2008
Minnesota
Paypals is not perfect, but I think it's still the best option. I have never heard of escrow.com, but that might be something more to look into. I would NEVER send a money order or money through Wester Union to someone you don't know. Especially with "0" posting's!!!

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Staff member
Aug 1, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
If someone is legit, they usually don't mind paypal. Yes, it has troubles, but it's the best solution so far that balances protecting the seller and the buyer at the same time.

disposablehero

used soldier
Mar 29, 2014
I offered the option of him sending the kit to draconian diesel. The owner said he would be willing to accept and hold the package then release it once the funds are received by the seller by whatever means he feels good with. That would be safe for both parties. He is local to me and obviously not gonna screw anyone since that is his business and reputation.

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
I have sold some and purchased some here, never had an issue. Now I sell a lot of military surplus parts for deuce and halfs on another site.. I have sold dozens of fairly high priced items and rarely have an issue. That being said there is always someone who is gonna be a dick, had a guy buy multiple parts and requested a windshield shipped to him, I told him I will ship it and hope for the best or $25 would crate it for him and ship. He didn't want it crated, it arrived broken glass and a broken wiper motor, (it was packed very well tons of cardboard and bubble wrap but ups was just too mean with it he wanted a refund, I refused stating he didn't want it in a crate. He posted negative feedback, the only one I have ever had.

Some people want something for nothing and are dicks move on and try not to think about it

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
I have sold some and purchased some here, never had an issue. Now I sell a lot of military surplus parts for deuce and halfs on another site.. I have sold dozens of fairly high priced items and rarely have an issue. That being said there is always someone who is gonna be a dick, had a guy buy multiple parts and requested a windshield shipped to him, I told him I will ship it and hope for the best or $25 would crate it for him and ship. He didn't want it crated, it arrived broken glass and a broken wiper motor, (it was packed very well tons of cardboard and bubble wrap but ups was just too mean with it he wanted a refund, I refused stating he didn't want it in a crate. He posted negative feedback, the only one I have ever had.

Some people want something for nothing and are dicks move on and try not to think about it
This is why I would never give someone the option to have a lesser quality shipment. I also won't make insurance optional on expensive items. To me if someone is being that cheap I'd rather sell to someone else who isn't living that far beyond their means.

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
This is why I would never give someone the option to have a lesser quality shipment. I also won't make insurance optional on expensive items. To me if someone is being that cheap I'd rather sell to someone else who isn't living that far beyond their means.
You are correct it was lesson learned for me. The guy was adamant about getting it payed for it I tried multiple times to talk him out of it. Live and learn, the guy was difficult from the beginning. Trust your gut on people, most guys in the car/truck scene are good guys and gals...

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
You are correct it was lesson learned for me. The guy was adamant about getting it payed for it I tried multiple times to talk him out of it. Live and learn, the guy was difficult from the beginning. Trust your gut on people, most guys in the car/truck scene are good guys and gals...
Ya, that's the name of the game. If something seems off about the other person then don't do business with them. I just bought a truck in NC over the phone from Ca and paid with a money order. Most people would think I was crazy, but it went off great. It all came down to talking to the other guy and as soon as I did I had a level of trust that made me confident in the transaction.

hotdogstand

May 27, 2013
Norfolk, VA
You can probably add Chad W to the list of users not to deal with. I paid him over $300 for a set of tie rods, haven't heard from him since. Despite paying through Paypal (not as a gift), they haven't been much help. They close any complaint in 20 days, not 30 or other more reasonable number, so beware of that too.

I have messaged him on here a dozen times or so, and through paypal.
This is my first negative experience dealing on here or the other diesel forums, by and large the community has been great and filled with people just trying to make a living or help another "diesel head" out.

TowU4Free

#SecretSquirrel
Aug 27, 2011
DuramaxzAK can you leave me positive feedback from the controller i bought? just left you one.. just figured out how lol

kendrickDan

Jan 25, 2016
Beware!! Another deal gone bad.. I found injectors for one of my buddys on here and we bought them for $2400 from gmac32. They got lost in the mail and I don't believe he bought insurance like he should have and now I guess we're just supposed to take the beating on our end or something.. Bought them 04/19/16 and 4 months later still have no refund.. He tried dragging it out as long as he could so it to late to stop payment.. Kept saying that usps hasn't sent out a confirmation letter saying that they are lost. But if you call usps they will plainly say that they are lost for good. And he refuses to call them. He hasn't replied to the last few txs so figured id spread the word.. Any help would be great! His number is 419-545-4217

Here is the listing http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70390

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)