Burnt up Kennedy pump

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
First, I can't complain too much. Pumps have been on the truck since 2010.

So a short story long, I rebuilt the filter head due to a start / die condition. Decided to check pressure while I was at it, only 2psi. Well wtf, checked voltage back by the pump plug and had 5-6v, wire was corroded inside a sealed plug... Soldered that back together, had 3psi now :roflmao: Took a closer look at the pumps and saw the bottom cap of the rear pump was pushed down a tad, peeled it open with my finger and it looks TOASTED. The plastic inside the housing has been HOT. Anyone ever had one do this? I've never read about anyone having issues with Kennedy pumps.

rcr1978

Apr 1, 2007
Spring Creek, NV
both of mine the impellers swelled/started coming apart and 1 got noisy and the other the motor quit for who knows why it wasn’t cooked inside I looked to see if it was fixable. Mine had probably 35k on them so got a FASS hopefully it lasts.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
What did John say when you told him? I thought he lifetime-warrantied those pumps?

rcr1978

Apr 1, 2007
Spring Creek, NV
What did John say when you told him? I thought he lifetime-warrantied those pumps?

I never said anything or called I seen there was replacement motor & impellers but the new stuff out keeps the rail pressure up better anyways so rather spend the $250 for new motors on something else.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH

2yr on the pumps I think, they may have been lifetime at one point, not sure. I haven't talked to him yet, but the replacement motor/impeller lists at $110

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I lost my 1st pump after 6 years or so, but it was my own fault. I was running it unfiltered to the pump and got some bad fuel. It wore the impeller down where it rides on the post from the grit going through it. I installed a 30 micron pre-filter on it to prevent it from happening again. To me having a nearly silent lift pump is worth it.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
I lost my 1st pump after 6 years or so, but it was my own fault. I was running it unfiltered to the pump and got some bad fuel. It wore the impeller down where it rides on the post from the grit going through it. I installed a 30 micron pre-filter on it to prevent it from happening again. To me having a nearly silent lift pump is worth it.

Sounds possible, but he states on the website they don't need a prefilter, so I never did. Even his own pump / filter setup doesn't filter the fuel before the first pump.

I called in, not sure how if it was Jon or not, but acted like I got plenty of life out of my pump and it's still better than the other guys. Ordered a motor / impeller replacement, we will see how that goes.

Leadfoot

Needs Bigger Tires!
Dec 27, 2006
Western MA
www.matpa.org
I had a noisy vibrating pump after 8+ years. I had the dual pump and ordered a new set and installed them. When I took the old pumps apart, I found green gunk on the impeller of the noisy pump that I believe was causing an imbalance/noise. I did notice both impellers were worn so I'm glad I bought new pumps, but I think with new impellers they would have gone a while longer but never pursued it (now I can't remember where I placed my old pumps to test my theory). I don't even know if you can buy just the impellers (I did not see them listed separately). The pumps worked well for truck pulling and I like how quiet they are.

Robby Avery

GM TECH @ FENDER GMC
Jul 31, 2008
Norman Park, Georgia
mine have been running for 13 years on my 06 and my 02 for 7 years no problems here. Kennedy designed them to be nearly silent and the theory behind them was to supply high volume low pressure fuel which is what makes cp3s happy. even if they fail at some point I will defiantly go back with Kennedy pumps :thumb:

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Mine have been on for over 100k and 10 years. Been having intermittent issues this them working for a couple years now, but they won’t die for good. I only put 3k or so on the truck a year and 1,000 of that was the other week. They worked great the whole week so who knows.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I had a set of TTS pumps on my truck (same pump without the fancy billet housing for those who haven't been around long enough to remember TTS). They lasted for about 3 years before they wore through the impeller. I replaced mine with an AirDog, and have been happy. I had one motor fail since 2010 when I installed it, but AirDog replaced it under warranty about 3 years ago. It is also virtually silent. You can barely hear it with the engine off, and you can't hear it when it is running.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
I had a set of TTS pumps on my truck (same pump without the fancy billet housing for those who haven't been around long enough to remember TTS). They lasted for about 3 years before they wore through the impeller. I replaced mine with an AirDog, and have been happy. I had one motor fail since 2010 when I installed it, but AirDog replaced it under warranty about 3 years ago. It is also virtually silent. You can barely hear it with the engine off, and you can't hear it when it is running.

Yea I'm not changing out my entire setup at this point just because one pump failed. I'll inspect both impellers when I have it apart, then maybe I'll consider an airdog. NOT

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Yea I'm not changing out my entire setup at this point just because one pump failed. I'll inspect both impellers when I have it apart, then maybe I'll consider an airdog. NOT

Suit yourself. As you can see (and despite internet lore), they all have failures.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Yep. I'd probably slap one of their raptor pumps on, but not a $600+ "air separation" setup

There is more to it than "air separation". You get a serious upgrade in terms of filter quality with a FASS/AirDog style setup (granted factory AirDog filters suck in my opinion as their rating isn't great) but it gives you the opportunity to run a much better water separator and final filter compared to anything that can be run in a stock location.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
There is more to it than "air separation". You get a serious upgrade in terms of filter quality with a FASS/AirDog style setup (granted factory AirDog filters suck in my opinion as their rating isn't great) but it gives you the opportunity to run a much better water separator and final filter compared to anything that can be run in a stock location.

And I can achieve the same thing with a $20 remote filter head. Even have one laying here in the garage :thumb:

Robby Avery

GM TECH @ FENDER GMC
Jul 31, 2008
Norman Park, Georgia

I beg to differ the luber finer lff 6012 I run is rated at 4 micron 99.6% effiencent a.c. delco is 98.4 at 4 micron I'm not sure how much better you can get my baldwin filter is also 3 microns 99.5 on my Kennedy kit for both trucks if you know of a better one please enlighten me and no fleetguard is not any better I've already checked :thumb:

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I beg to differ the luber finer lff 6012 I run is rated at 4 micron 99.6% effiencent a.c. delco is 98.4 at 4 micron I'm not sure how much better you can get my baldwin filter is also 3 microns 99.5 on my Kennedy kit for both trucks if you know of a better one please enlighten me and no fleetguard is not any better I've already checked :thumb:

There are many filters that are 2 micron absolute for FASS/AirDog/standalone filter heads. I don’t know if the LFF6012 or the ACDelco filters etc are absolute it nominal as there is a huge difference.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
airdog factory filter is 2 micron nominal. CAT filter that threads onto the airdog is 2 micron absolute and taller. The CAT filter using the adapter at the factory fuel filter head is 2 micron absolute.