Building a shop

Ridin'GMC

I like red
May 20, 2010
MA
I'm planning to build a shop and I'm somewhat stuck on how big to build it, steel or wood building. I have a 21x30 garage attached to my house and it's already full of my toys and tools, barely can get my wife's car in it, even my truck won't fit in it length wise due to shelves by the end of the wall. I was thinking about the common 40x60 building but I'm not sure if it's overkill, don't want to regret from taking too much space in my backyard. I'm not exactly sure what's a comfortable size to work on a truck to restore (to rebuild my 06 CCSB) while having space for a 2 post lift, tools and toys. Any experience would be helpful to get my mind set on how big to build it. My goal is to have a 12 foot door in case if I come across a heavy equipment to work on. I do plenty of side works from family and friends for the basics brakes and occasional repairs.

lutzjk913

May 5, 2010
groveport, ohio
40x60 for sure I would do 14 foot ceilings if you are planning a lift in it also.

Mine is 24x34. Came with the house and I have completely outgrown it.

Told the wife last night when we move the new place has to have a bigger shop or a bigger one will be built immediately.

Budneeds2beers

Aka Mike Honcho....
Aug 25, 2016
Cali
Well my father has a 32X32’ with twin, 10’ double doors. I can tell you from personal experience its not big or tall enough. I personally would go with a 14’ center bay door. I also would recommend going taller to install a loft for storage or area. I would instal a man cave area up top. Bar/kitchenette, couple couches, tv, wall urinal. Down below i would instal a full tile shitter/shower combo right outsided that door i would install a clothe washer (for rags and work clothes) and water heater. The last little space under the loft i would put a tool room/ office maybe? Or use that space as a tool/compressor room with good insulation to dampened sound. Run a halo of air with plenty of drops and a genorous supply of electrical with welder plugs every so often so you dont have a 60’ extension cord. Don’t skimp on the foundation either nothing worse then a spider crack. I would also add a over head rail hoist. It makes life so much easier picking and setting heavier objects. Metal outside siding and frame is nice it cuts down on fire dangers but sucks for cold winters and hot summers. So that’s something else to address for you is heating and cooling. But good luck to you hope it all works out. Post pictures when your done so we can see how it turned out.

Ridin'GMC

I like red
May 20, 2010
MA
Well my father has a 32X32’ with twin, 10’ double doors. I can tell you from personal experience its not big or tall enough. I personally would go with a 14’ center bay door. I also would recommend going taller to install a loft for storage or area. I would instal a man cave area up top. Bar/kitchenette, couple couches, tv, wall urinal. Down below i would instal a full tile shitter/shower combo right outsided that door i would install a clothe washer (for rags and work clothes) and water heater. The last little space under the loft i would put a tool room/ office maybe? Or use that space as a tool/compressor room with good insulation to dampened sound. Run a halo of air with plenty of drops and a genorous supply of electrical with welder plugs every so often so you dont have a 60’ extension cord. Don’t skimp on the foundation either nothing worse then a spider crack. I would also add a over head rail hoist. It makes life so much easier picking and setting heavier objects. Metal outside siding and frame is nice it cuts down on fire dangers but sucks for cold winters and hot summers. So that’s something else to address for you is heating and cooling. But good luck to you hope it all works out. Post pictures when your done so we can see how it turned out.

I definitely agree with. 32x32 being too small considering it's not much bigger than my attached garage with 8 foot doors. I don't think I'll ever need a loft to make a man cave which is what my basement will be, or hell, I'll build a tree house to make it in a man cave with suspension bridge to connect to my house from my 2nd floor :D. I'm definitely planning on having several outlets for the welder and air hose reels.the garage will definitely be insulated and heated since I do work in the winter. It won't be for at least a few years but I'm planning it out and getting it started. Need to clear out my backyard and level it out since it does have a good hill going up. The biggest issue is how much it'll cost me to build, I do have a tight budget for the next few years until I can stop paying 15-17k a year for daycare expenses, no more kids for me. So I'll be doing it one step at a time.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
40x60 or larger or you will 100% regret it

My house came with a garage and separate shop, the shop is 1200sq/ft or 30x40 and I already need it to be twice that size. I can park 3 trucks in it plus tool boxes and large tools and industrial warehouse racking and whatnot but it's still not enough. Whatever you do, you definitely want to do atleast a 10' door but if it were me I would only do 14' door with ceiling high enough for a lift which in reality is only 12' for the average lift

Last edited:

NinjaMax

WTF!
Oct 3, 2012
Severance, Colorado
I'm having one built in about 2 months, 36x40, a 12x12 door and a 12x14 door. 15ft ceiling,
General steel will sell a kit here in Colorado for 20,000. Doesn't include doors or glass tho. We ended up going with a clearly building. Wood framing with metal siding all the doors, glass, and hardware installed for 35000

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
IMO, you'd want to build it at least 50% larger than you think you need, so you have room to expand or to store items.

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Our HOA is my limiting factor, :baby:

Step one, sell house and buy no HOA :thumb:

I'm on a grandfathered in county island but it's a high end neighborhood so we can do whatever we want but the high price keeps the weirdos out... How I got in is a mystery :confused:

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
I’m in the same boat. I had Morton quote like 45k for a 36x40 with 10 foot ceiling. That’s insolated though with the sheet metal inside. I’m deff looking for other company probably steel so I can get ceiling height. It’s crazy high priced imo too! I can only have the peak of the roof to 16.5 so I have a hard time finding a set up where I can get a lift in it !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
build to the max of your budget or what ever the major limiting factor is. if you dont, you will wish you did. We are looking at houses out west and north of my place now. i could care less if there is a shop on the house when we buy it as id rather build it to what i want, i just want enough room for a 50x60 shop. that will let me put the toy hauler and flat bed in one side, lift on the other, and plenty of room for toys and to work on them. plus fit all my fab equipment and a future Mill.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
build to the max of your budget or what ever the major limiting factor is. if you dont, you will wish you did. We are looking at houses out west and north of my place now. i could care less if there is a shop on the house when we buy it as id rather build it to what i want, i just want enough room for a 50x60 shop. that will let me put the toy hauler and flat bed in one side, lift on the other, and plenty of room for toys and to work on them. plus fit all my fab equipment and a future Mill.

I would like to go bigger. But they have city ordinances about the square footage compared to your house aswell as roof limit based off your house too.

AZlml

Jun 5, 2016
Goodyear, AZ
Steel prices are on the rise daily, so if you go with a steel building it will probably be pricy compared to a few months ago. The local steel yard near me said they can only guarantee prices for 24hrs :confused:

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
I read an interesting article, in order to get steel production back into America the govt proposed insane tax breaks, some of or mostly one of the major steel importers said nah **** you so instead they put a massive import tax on steel so by the time you plan your shop steel prices will be out of your budget

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Ive already got a 20x50 "shop", but its got a lean-to roof. What Id like to do is replace that with trusses and a gable roof, but boy -- would it be a job.
Pros: Would give me 12' ceilings, the ability to add windows up high the length of the south side of the shop for extra light, and be able to install a lift.
Cons: Cost. Time to do it.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Unless you can wait until the market takes a major dive the prices will continue to rise with the current market. I don't see that happening with Trump in the office. In other words if you need it now or maybe the next 7 years you better find a way now or its only going to cost more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
I've been looking/wanting a 60*80 with at least 1 14' tall doors at each end.. on a 20' wide pull through bay.. allow me to get 13'6 vehicle in and out.. my truck/trailer is ~65-67' long..

40*60 would cover most...

Btw a CCLB and a 40GN trailer(~48-50' oal) is usually around 65' bumper to bumper..

Slowmax

Build what others' won't
Aug 3, 2013
United States
Unless you can wait until the market takes a major dive the prices will continue to rise with the current market. I don't see that happening with Trump in the office. In other words if you need it now or maybe the next 7 years you better find a way now or its only going to cost more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Or shop the right place's a 60x90 can be had for around 40k. Not sure why you think trump has done anything to effect that. But people alway's seem to find an excuse. :confused: