Broken ZF6

hntngkd

Jun 24, 2013
Attica, Mi
Ive been hearing a little bit a whine coming from the trans for about the last 3 weeks. Was planning on changing it out last saturday but it was too hot to work in the barn so i put it off and went up north anyways. Drove about 3 hours up north stayed the weekend and then came back. Sunday i ran up town to grab some food and on the way back i did a couple hard pulls in 6th gear. First one felt good slowed down a little and did a second one, right around 100mph and 70-80lbs of boost she let go. Coasted for about 2 miles and tried puting it in fifth gear it went in so i rolled a couple stop signs and was able to make it home. Got to the driveway stopped to turn in and tried puting it in 2nd and the truck didnt move at all. Put it in 4 low and then back to 5th gear and it chugged right into the driveway. Pulled the trans out monday before work and pulled it apart this morning. Found some major carnage to the counter gear and that was about it. Should have it back up and running by the weekend if i dont send this other one out to get cryo treated which im thinking i might do. This will be the third trans in the truck.
57dd197f9c245290d9b4e082bd99322c.jpg
4e5af2e33295cef35c3574fe6e98d0ed.jpg
a913641c85ba693202b2a9fd8a4a3b7b.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: gmduramax

hntngkd

Jun 24, 2013
Attica, Mi
was the trans all stock when it let go? how much power were you pushing through it?
all stock trans, unknown miles. just shy of 1000hp since 2016. the trans that replaced it was cryo treated and is still in the truck also with unknown miles same power level.

Lq4chevy

Nov 25, 2019
all stock trans, unknown miles. just shy of 1000hp since 2016. the trans that replaced it was cryo treated and is still in the truck also with unknown miles same power level.

what clutch are you running?

Wow that's very encouraging! Just from some rumblings I have heard over the years I thought these things were good to 500-600 hp stock. Makes me feel a little more comfortable now. Also where did you get your current trans cryo treated?

hntngkd

Jun 24, 2013
Attica, Mi
what clutch are you running?

Wow that's very encouraging! Just from some rumblings I have heard over the years I thought these things were good to 500-600 hp stock. Makes me feel a little more comfortable now. Also where did you get your current trans cryo treated?
South bend comp triple disc, i just found a guy local to me, split the trans and gave him the guts to have cryo treated