Broken Crankshaft Count?

Please pick the one that you had break

• Total voters

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
There has already been someone who put a long block l5p in a lbz platform and ran it off the factory ecm. I am almost certain he just spliced in the l5p pig tails onto his lbz harness, and some other small things and ran it. Didnt he put a post on here as well?

His info was very lack luster.

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
There has already been someone who put a long block l5p in a lbz platform and ran it off the factory ecm. I am almost certain he just spliced in the l5p pig tails onto his lbz harness, and some other small things and ran it. Didnt he put a post on here as well?
Running L5P off LBZ ECM has been done by Banks and a couple others I know of. Issue is just the cam and crank reluctor tooth counts not matching up. Banks moves the crank ring to front for that reason. Cam ring, she just needs to locate TDC one rev and done.

The way I was exploring is just recode the ECM bin file with correct tooth count and timing, then should be happy. I know of one that actually fires up on the stand with that much accomplished. Soon as I wrap up a few more paying projects, I'd like to take a stab at that approach.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Nate’s Dmax

Dec 11, 2020
This thread I’d getting interesting but should maybe have its own thread as its kinda off of the broken crank subject.

One thing i have wondered and haven’t researched is the firing order of the L5P. Is it still the same as previous?

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Probably could use its own thread (think there is already one like it) but really there ain’t much pertinent info in here worth moving yet.

valleyduramax

Jul 25, 2010
Ottawa ON Canada
Would using the L5P engine minus fuel and turbo work in an LLY? I realize some one off parts or machining ops would need to be done but if you could get the LLY injectors to fit the L5P heads and use the LLY electronics and VGT turbo could it be a possibility with some leg work? I have a line on a running L5P engine from a wrecked truck and an engine builder friend wanting to try it since my factory engine is needing rebuilt.

valleyduramax

Jul 25, 2010
Ottawa ON Canada
If there is enough material around the injector bores, the bores could be opened up and made deeper if needed but again only if enough material to begin with. I have not seen an L5P engine in person out of a truck and therefore have no idea if this could even work. Just brainstorming is all!

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
If there is enough material around the injector bores, the bores could be opened up and made deeper if needed but again only if enough material to begin with. I have not seen an L5P engine in person out of a truck and therefore have no idea if this could even work. Just brainstorming is all!

thats probably why you dont understand why inly l5p injectors will work lol. You have to do a HELL of alot of custom work to make any other injector fit. they are vastly different from years prior.

valleyduramax

Jul 25, 2010
Ottawa ON Canada
ok makes sense! Any pictures of what they look like? The custom work while time consuming would not be an issue for me personally but might not be worth the effort. Regardless it could be a path to take in the future. If i get a chance, i will take a look and do some measuring and post the results!

Nate’s Dmax

Dec 11, 2020
ok makes sense! Any pictures of what they look like? The custom work while time consuming would not be an issue for me personally but might not be worth the effort. Regardless it could be a path to take in the future. If i get a chance, i will take a look and do some measuring and post the results!
I have a box of L5P injectors that i could take pictures of.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Why would you want to go to all the trouble? The L5P went back to solenoid style injectors which means they'll probably run just fine on anything other than an LML ECM. You'll obviously have to tune accordingly, but that's a lot easier than machining heads and making all sorts of custom parts to swap injectors.

valleyduramax

Jul 25, 2010
Ottawa ON Canada
I didn't realize that the L5P injectors could be possible controlled with the LLY fuel system control. But with that being said, the tuning may be a headache with finding someone to actually do the electronic adjustments these days north of the border. Hence why the machining of parts may be the easier option for myself anyway. And this is all hypothetical at this point anyway!

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I didn't realize that the L5P injectors could be possible controlled with the LLY fuel system control. But with that being said, the tuning may be a headache with finding someone to actually do the electronic adjustments these days north of the border. Hence why the machining of parts may be the easier option for myself anyway. And this is all hypothetical at this point anyway!

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk

Working on the tuning side will be FAR easier than trying to machine heads. You'll still have to tune it regardless since the 01-10 ECMs run a different turbo setup, different cam/crank reluctor tooth counts etc.

Doing the tuning on an older style ECM is far easier than trying to do it any other way IMO. The older ECMs have far more support for this kind of custom setup AND are less picky from what I've seen (they do what they're told without complaining).