Bringing my truck back from the dead (sort of)

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
So, my truck was rode hard and put up wet (literately), a trans issue that I couldn't figure out combined with cold of ND and other life events had it sitting for over a year. Ill be updating this as I go along and seeing what went wrong and right building this rig and running it hard.

I used fuel lines from a generic auto store near where I built it, and every one of them split wide open. Nothing but NAPA -40 stuff for me from now on.

I found where Trim A spring failed, causing all my issues in the trans an toasting my C2s and hurting the hub. Also figured out that my LB7 trans had a later model pump on it from SC which threw me for a loop trying to figure out what was going on. I had a core out of an LLY so decided to just use that one and swap VBs and oilpumps/bell housing.

Truck had a real bad hazing issue from sitting so threw a set of 100% over injectors at it.

Plan is down the road to go back into the engine (probably use a core block that I have with Finger's pistons, a AF cam and a few other things.

Attachments

• line.jpg
    line.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 64
  • clutch2.jpg
    clutch2.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 57
  • hub.jpg
    hub.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 56
  • trim A.jpg
    trim A.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 56
  • trip A 2.jpg
    trip A 2.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 60

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
My lower turbo on the twin set would sometimes get the plastic fender hot, so I wrapped it. Guess I found salt somewhere before I parked it on my deployment. Lucky me.

had an injector cup leaking when I tear it down for good I'll put the threaded cups in.

Attachments

• rust.jpg
    rust.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 87
  • cup.jpg
    cup.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 83

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Sorry your having troubles but glad to see you back around. I thought you might have gotten locked up for busting the tower in one of those B52’s:rofl:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Sorry your having troubles but glad to see you back around. I thought you might have gotten locked up for busting the tower in one of those B52’s:rofl:

im fairly certain he doesnt even fly anymore. all i see him do is drive his 5ton around, rescuing idiots stuck in snow :roflmao:

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
I just left active duty, flying cargo now for Kalitta Air. I'm going to Alaska Air National Guard flying tankers as a traditional guardsman.
And still have my 5 tons to play with...
And maybe a duramax if this thing stops fighting me

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Looking good! I'm curious as to how the threaded cup install goes. I just did injectors on my LB7 last weekend and everything "seemed" to be fine. I didn't pull cups (hardware store was closed to get a lag bolt/hose setup) but all the cups stayed in place. Using the Merchant Auto removal tool made life simple.

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
It's honestly going to be babied for the next couple of years until I have money to go back into it, I would guess at least a year before anything happens to the engine. But I do want to get some info out when I get a chance about things that worked well and things that didn't for a work/toy truck

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
slowly coming back together, hopefully running this weekend.
Words of advice, any heat wrapping or turbo blankets you use, better make sure that it isn't parked with any salt on it. I didn't realize I had gotten into salt and it has been a nightmare.

Also I now know how important the quality of any rubber line in the cold. I think I have replace almost ever hose on this thing, and I have been pretty disappointed in most aftermarket rubber gaskets/orings/ seals and lines including from some name brand distributors.
From now on I think I'm going with either OEM or make sure anything rubber is spec'ed for the cold.