bring me to speed on the newer 1500's

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
So my wife's 08 canyon just turned 100k and with where our new house is located, shes going to start racking up miles. The canyon had been a GREAT rig. only needed maintenance items, a thermostat and thats it. That said, i know these things dont like the balancer chains, timing chains and lifters when the miles start racking up so id rather get her something low miles. larger truck would be nice too with the kiddos getting bigger.

Shes told me she would like a CC 1500. im thinking something in the 2015 and up range but im not versed on what trans comes with which engine and so on. she did ask me to lift it (love this woman!) which may play havoc on what ever trans comes in them. I think the 8 speed is in the 15 and 16? did they ever get the 10 speed? id like to stay away from the 8 speed knowing what i know about them but may not have a choice. engines decent? anything else to look for?

im not against the 3.0 diesel but they aint cheap nor is maintenance. i dont see us getting our moneys worth out of that sadly... but who knows!

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
'16 was the first year for 8sp behind 6.2. '15 had the 6L80 behind the 6.2. More preferable. All 5.3 had 6L80. I assume you will get a 6.2 after driving mine.

Reactions: Chevy1925

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
The 8 speed is offered in the 5.3 trucks, at least back to 2019. Makes a 5.3 silverado a whole new machine. Previously I could not stand to drive a 6 speed equipped 5.3 1500.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Josh154

Sep 28, 2015
Sioux Falls SD
I had a 18 with the 6.2 and 8 speed. You should run a catch can right away. The only down fall with direct injection is it cannot keep the valves clean with fuel. The intake valves build up carbon. I had a nice catch can on mine and would drain a surprising amount from it.

I also ran a range afm disabler. Wasn’t a tune but wouldn’t let the 4 cylinders shut off. The lifters can stick with the afm.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Thanks guys! Not against a supercharger on a 5.3 hehehe

'16 was the first year for 8sp behind 6.2. '15 had the 6L80 behind the 6.2. More preferable. All 5.3 had 6L80. I assume you will get a 6.2 after driving mine.

Pretty much! If I can find one worth buying. She’s a fun rig!

A raptor with a tune would get my vote

Get out of here with that non sense . First off, it’s a Ford. Secondly, they are overpriced and hearing that ugly v6 noise in a big prerunner just does not make sense.

I’ll only own 1 of two fords. My father in laws 67 mustang (originally my wife’s first car) or a prerunner exploder. Even then, my god will it be hard to choke down that I own a blue oval.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
from what im finding, all the 15's with 6.2's in them have the 8 speed. i called on a few this morning and every one had the 8 speed in it. found this from GM as well

looks like 14 is the last year for it. little too old at that point. might just need to look at a 5.3 with the 6 speed. if we need more umph, well i can always remedy that 😁

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
I can not speak from personal experience but I have done a bit of searching on the same subject James. The 6.2 is a powerhouse of an engine but you do sacrifice fuel economy and get the crappy 8 speed. Also from what I’ve read, factory ratings for power and mileage are with premium gas. Which is an even bigger expense. The 5.3s are no slouch either. Especially with some air breathing into them.

036.6turbo

Jan 17, 2014
So my wife's 08 canyon just turned 100k and with where our new house is located, shes going to start racking up miles. The canyon had been a GREAT rig. only needed maintenance items, a thermostat and thats it. That said, i know these things dont like the balancer chains, timing chains and lifters when the miles start racking up so id rather get her something low miles. larger truck would be nice too with the kiddos getting bigger.

Shes told me she would like a CC 1500. im thinking something in the 2015 and up range but im not versed on what trans comes with which engine and so on. she did ask me to lift it (love this woman!) which may play havoc on what ever trans comes in them. I think the 8 speed is in the 15 and 16? did they ever get the 10 speed? id like to stay away from the 8 speed knowing what i know about them but may not have a choice. engines decent? anything else to look for?

im not against the 3.0 diesel but they aint cheap nor is maintenance. i dont see us getting our moneys worth out of that sadly... but who knows!

I've had to plug into this 20018 (3) times to get the Tcase out of 4lo. As you can see it's got a 9" lift and wheel and tire combo that most 1500s do not, but still it can't keep a transfer case in it.

Other than that it seems to be a nice truck. Owner is a friend of a friend, good kid I like him, just do not share his taste in truck mods. GM has denied coverage on the Tcase because of the lift.

Hope this helps.

1612552014857.png