Brass VS new steel piston oil nozzles

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
Bringing this back up, so there are no known issues running the LML oil cooling nozzles as long as you run a high volume M316 pump or LML pump? My LB7 has taken a turn for the worse and started to drop oil pressure running ~30-35psi hot towing, ~15-20psi at idle hot. I'm planning on tearing it down for and doing a stock rebuild since it's just a daily driver/tow rig, maybe put in some LML rods since it'll be getting S475 over stock compounds.

No issues at all. Before they came out I drilled the old nozzles and they were fine too.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
No issues at all. Before they came out I drilled the old nozzles and they were fine too.

Sounds good. Now I've just got to determine if its worth buying the H series bearings on a DD/tow rig when Mahle sells a full engine rebuild kit with their p series bearings for cheap.

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
Sounds good. Now I've just got to determine if its worth buying the H series bearings on a DD/tow rig when Mahle sells a full engine rebuild kit with their p series bearings for cheap.

I have a set of bearings I think are H series I’d have to double check. I bought them years ago and never used them. I’d sell them cheap if you wanted them.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I wouldn’t run their standard pistons. I’ll check and make sure they’re the H series.

What is wrong with their standard pistons? This is a DD that is going to get 100mi a day pounded onto it to/from work as well as tow my LLY on the weekends. If it sees over 500hp I'd be impressed. I drive it in a 30hp economy tune and am more than happy most days. The only reason I want to go compounds is to hold 5th gear towing up hills. In the 75hp tow tune it just isn't enough power to hold gears and the stock charger won't take any more of a tune (1300-1350F up a big hill grossing 24k lbs in 90f ambient). If I were going to try and push a stock bottom end I would definitely choose a different piston UNLESS there is a great reason to not trust the Mahle OE replacement for LB7/LLY. I've got a thread going to not muddy up this thread any further. https://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83178

Thanks for looking into the bearings!

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
What is wrong with their standard pistons? This is a DD that is going to get 100mi a day pounded onto it to/from work as well as tow my LLY on the weekends. If it sees over 500hp I'd be impressed. I drive it in a 30hp economy tune and am more than happy most days. The only reason I want to go compounds is to hold 5th gear towing up hills. In the 75hp tow tune it just isn't enough power to hold gears and the stock charger won't take any more of a tune (1300-1350F up a big hill grossing 24k lbs in 90f ambient). If I were going to try and push a stock bottom end I would definitely choose a different piston UNLESS there is a great reason to not trust the Mahle OE replacement for LB7/LLY. I've got a thread going to not muddy up this thread any further. https://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83178

Thanks for looking into the bearings!

They are an OE replacement, they are not good like factory LB7,LLY pistons. They lasted 30,000 miles in my truck with 600hp.