Brand new to the tuning world

Foxtrott4646

Jul 12, 2018
Reno
If there is already a topic about this please point me in the right direction, I bought a duramax a few years ago that already had 5 tunes loaded with a dsp5 switch, my question is, can I change just one of these tunes without affecting the others? If so how do I do it? I have no idea how the tunes were loaded except that they used efi live, any help is appreciated

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Chances are the tunes are locked and you won’t be able to read or change them at all. Tuners do this to protect themselves from being ripped off.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Does that mean clearing and inputting all of my own?

Yes. You will either have to get someone to retune the truck, or buy the software and devices to edit the stock tune as well as load it into the truck. Hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge will chime in shortly

Foxtrott4646

Jul 12, 2018
Reno
Yes. You will either have to get someone to retune the truck, or buy the software and devices to edit the stock tune as well as load it into the truck. Hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge will chime in shortly
Do you think it's worth spending the money on the tuner and all the software? I've been quoted over 600 dollars for retuning

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
That number sounds about right, but really depends on what you want. If you are willing to put the time in to learn to tune your own truck you will be much better off in the long run. Depending on your familiarity with the way the ecm works and how it controls the engine and your computer skills. It can take months or years to develop your own tune you are happy with.

There are a good mix of both people here and lots of threads you should read about tuning. You should also reach out to some of the venders here and ask them about what you want and see if they can set you up

And as mentioned above. Your tune will likely be locked or on some year trucks the DSP tunes can't be read out so you have to overwrite the tune anyways if you want changes to be made. If you don't know the original tuner then you are basically starting over

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
It would help us a bit to fill out your signature so we can know the details of your truck. Things such as year, engine, and any mods you know of. Some years of trucks, especially LB7 and LLY, are very finicky and can be bricked easily. Then you have an ECM paperweight. There could be a tune you’d enjoy in the library here or one you can build off of.