LLY: BPU List for LLY's

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
BPU stands for Basic Performance Upgrades. These are modifications that don't require engine disassembly. Here is my list of basic power mods:

• Tuning - EFILive, PPE, or custom tunes. All can take you to the 500rwhp area, I like starting out with an EFILive tune, then adjusting it on the dyno for a specific truck. This is the ultimate Bang-For-The-Buck mod for LLY's.
  • 4" exhaust - or a 5", it will normally be worth about 15rwhp on a tuning only truck. The biggest restriction will be the factory muffler.
  • Downpipe - While it shows small gains at 2000-3000, by the time you get to 3400, it will show 15hp when using a 4" exhaust.
  • Shimmed FPRV - You will need this to hold rail pressure with big tuning. Period. You can use a race valve to the same effect.
  • EGR blocker - in order to run more than 25PSI boost, you need to keep the EGR valve from being forced open.
  • Lift pump - While it might not show up on a dyno, it is worth .1-.3 seconds off your quarter mile times.
  • Intake - The factory one is pretty good. Pulling the headlight is about as effective as any normal aftermarket filter. But the ram air systems show solid gains at the dragstrip. Banks is the only mfr that I'm aware of.
  • PCV reroute - Jury is out on it's HP effect, but seems to help get big numbers.
  • Ported Regulator - Has show an average 20rwhp on BPU trucks, will show more with big chargers.
  • LBZ intake neck - No drag tests yet, but it is believed it's one of the reasons LBZ's are putting out more power than LLY's.
  • 3" intercooler tubes - Not commercially available yet, nor is data available. They can't hurt, and probably help.
  • Aftermarket intercooler - While I didn't find a 1/4mi improvement, many report lower EGT's.
  • Transmission upgrade - As soon as you pass 400rwhp you are living on borrowed time. You will need a minimum of a converter, C3's, and valving kit.

Oilfield_Mafia

Im the ONLY Okie..
Jun 8, 2008
Worlds Highest Hill
Thanks Pat, Great info for noobs like me.. I understand all of them, except one

Ported Regulator - Has show an average 20rwhp on BPU trucks, will show more with big chargers.

Is this the same as a Ported Fuel Rail Fitting? Like that one PPE offers, and I saw for sale on here that someone had done themselves?

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Thanks Pat, Great info for noobs like me.. I understand all of them, except one

Ported Regulator - Has show an average 20rwhp on BPU trucks, will show more with big chargers.

Is this the same as a Ported Fuel Rail Fitting? Like that one PPE offers, and I saw for sale on here that someone had done themselves?

A Ported Fuel Pressure Regulator plugs in the back of your CP3 to increase max fuel flow from the pump. The ported fuel rail removes a restriction in the rail. I should have listed that also, even though I didn't gain anything when I tested.

LarryJewell

Back with his honey :)
Jan 21, 2007
San Angelo
A Ported Fuel Pressure Regulator plugs in the back of your CP3 to increase max fuel flow from the pump. The ported fuel rail removes a restriction in the rail. I should have listed that also, even though I didn't gain anything when I tested.

I did the ported fuel rail fitting at the same time as the 68mm Cheetah, so also was hard for me to tell:eek: and I did the fuel regulator about the same time as the 71.5mm Cheetah, so once again, hard to tell how much it helped :p

Noreaster

Jun 13, 2007
Cape Cod,MA
BPU stands for Basic Performance Upgrades. These are modifications that don't require engine disassembly. Here is my list of basic power mods:

• Tuning - EFILive, PPE, or custom tunes. All can take you to the 500rwhp area, I like starting out with an EFILive tune, then adjusting it on the dyno for a specific truck. This is the ultimate Bang-For-The-Buck mod for LLY's.
  • 4" exhaust - or a 5", it will normally be worth about 15rwhp on a tuning only truck. The biggest restriction will be the factory muffler.
  • Lift pump - While it might not show up on a dyno, it is worth .1-.3 seconds off your quarter mile times.
  • Intake - The factory one is pretty good. Pulling the headlight is about as effective as any normal aftermarket filter. But the ram air systems show solid gains at the dragstrip. Banks is the only mfr that I'm aware of.
  • Ported Regulator - Has show an average 20rwhp on BPU trucks, will show more with big chargers.
  • Aftermarket intercooler - While I didn't find a 1/4mi improvement, many report lower EGT's.
  • Transmission upgrade - As soon as you pass 400rwhp you are living on borrowed time. You will need a minimum of a converter, C3's, and valving kit.
You could apply these to LB7s plus

Adjustable Wastegate-BD or Banks
BD Manifold
Remove Intake heater
fuel pickup

05smoker

I'm officially done!
Mar 30, 2007
Lebanon, OH
LBZ intake neck - No drag tests yet, but it is believed it's one of the reasons LBZ's are putting out more power than LLY's.

I think this is one of the best mods for the $ I have ever done. My truck is much snappier around town and more fun to drive now. It may not be a large increase in overall HP, but it definitely drives better and spools quicker than a stock LLY (the 2 stroke of Dmax's).

WiggyHD

Sep 7, 2009
Mena, Arkansas
Great list! I've been looking for a shopping list like this. I just ordered the Banks Ram Air w/superscoop and the cat-back Monster Exhaust. I asked them if the cat is still a big restriction, and they said "Not as much as you would think". Would it benefit me to buy a front pipe and down pipe? These are the only things I have done so far. I will be doing EFI or Banks Six-Gun/Economind in the near future. I won't race or pull. I just tow the camper and haul the family.

Mark

whitetrash21

put on da damn helmet day
Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
Not a huge restriction, but I pulled mine few weeks ago and there is a little bit quicker spool and maybe a little better pedal response. Not too mention it sounds 10 times better. No downpipe yet so I cant say anything about that.

LarryJewell

Back with his honey :)
Jan 21, 2007
San Angelo
I think this is one of the best mods for the $ I have ever done. My truck is much snappier around town and more fun to drive now. It may not be a large increase in overall HP, but it definitely drives better and spools quicker than a stock LLY (the 2 stroke of Dmax's).

We put one on a totally stock truck, with the exception that it has a missing egr, a Fass lift pump and banks boost tubes..........he said no noticeable gain. This is runnning a mild EFI tune (stock transmission)

dmax84

Mar 15, 2010

Who sells these??

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Go over 375rwhp for too long, and you will limp the transmission. 450rwhp will do it immediately. "Safe" is about 325rwhp on an LLY. It won't break, it will burn the TC clutches and the shifting clutches. The factory trans is setup for gentle shifting while towing heavy, not racing.