Blemished Tires

MaxFarmer

<--Heavy Smoker
Jan 22, 2007
Albion, Nebraska
What is the general opinion on them? I got a set for my old firebird 10 years ago when I put the 'vette rims on and they worked just fine.
At the farm show yesterday there was a tire shop selling blemished tires. I got a set of 4 Wildcat LT all terrains (265/75/16) for just under $400. A set of 4 Wildcat LT mud terrains (265/75/16) for just under $500. They are blems, but I cant see anything wrong with them? Load range E.
I was quoted $180/tire for goodyear mud terrains at the goodyear tent 2 isles over, granted they were not blems. :rolleyes:

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
Long as the "blemishes" are cosmetic! Just be cautious;)

I used to get the expensive Optima batteries blemished for much less, they just had a slight molding cosmetic issue, usually barely anything and i got a nice expensive battery for much less.:D

dmax tim

just wanta have fun
Aug 16, 2006
Freddyville, Ohio
they may need extra weight to balance, or could be out-of-round.

I've bought blems and also got 'test' tires Denman would sell them for $100/ea so we had one of the first sets of 17-40 and 18.5-44 ground hogs even before they went on sale to public. they were good tires too.

MaxFarmer

<--Heavy Smoker
Jan 22, 2007
Albion, Nebraska
they may need extra weight to balance, or could be out-of-round.

Thats kind of what I figured...but it seems like mud tires always need a lot of weight to get them balanced anyway. I was afraid to take them to the local tire shop to have him put them on when I bought them somewhere else but I guess he's still gettin his $14 for mounting and balancing...

RayMich

Jun 1, 2008
Mid Michigan
Blems can be sold ONLY if the defect is a cosmetic defect. Selling a tire with any kind of structural defect would be against the law.

Yeah, all the "BLEMS" I have seen, the stamp on the sidewall looks worse than the actual blemish would be.

MaxFarmer

<--Heavy Smoker
Jan 22, 2007
Albion, Nebraska
Blems can be sold ONLY if the defect is a cosmetic defect. Selling a tire with any kind of structural defect would be against the law.

Thats what I would have thought. It'd be a helluva liability I would think otherwise!

I checked these and they were all made in '07 except for one that was made in 08.