Best way to replace arms

Dmax Grizzly

Always Learning
Dec 26, 2007
Monroeville,Ohio
I'm going to replace my pitman and idler arms this weekend along with inner and outer tie rod ends. I have sleeves I'm going to add along with them too. I've read on DP that people have done it all different ways. I'd like to know what's the best way to replace my pitman/idler arms. It'll be done on a lift and I have a puller too. Will the airbag be affected in any way? Thank you, Adam

2500HeavyDuty

Book 'em, Danno!
Feb 14, 2008
Katy, Tx
www.myspace.com
I did all that and more in one day in my driveway and 2 jackstands, its really not that hard once you get the things figured out.

the pitman arm is truck because the puller can be fitted on properly since there is a cross member in the way. but you can unbolt the gearbox from the frame i think its 3 21mm bolts holding it, and and maybe you can get away with not disconnecting the ps hoses, but once its unbolted push the gearbox in and the steering shaft will collapse and you should have enough room to fit the puller on there and put the impact on it. and the 3 bolts holding the gearbox are torqued down to 100ftlbs.

another method that was easier for me since i was working alone i unbolted 2 bolts on the gearbox and swiveled the gearbox on the 3rd one i just loosened and fit the puller on it. but you have to disconnect the hoses, and the hoses are torqued to 15-20 ft.lbs i don't remember exactly.

idler arm is a little tricky, i removed the whole assembly from the frame, there 2 bolts and 2 nuts holding it on, and i pulled the whole assembly out cleaned it greased it and used a puller to get it off in my garage.

as long as you aren't removing the intermediate steering shaft you don't have to worry about the steering wheel

if you want to be specific with the torque specs lemme know ill look em up in my mauals

Dmax Grizzly

Always Learning
Dec 26, 2007
Monroeville,Ohio
Thank's, You know. It might sound foolish now but I just realized that since I have the complete service manual set I could probably look it up in there for all this. It's always good to here from people who have done it personally also. Adam

2500HeavyDuty

Book 'em, Danno!
Feb 14, 2008
Katy, Tx
www.myspace.com
you can do either or. Its easier if you remove the driver side inner fender liner to disconnect the power steering hoses.but im not completely certain that you have to take them out, you can just remove the fasteners holding the hoses to the body so they can flex a little. i ended up actually rubbing a hole in my return line with my IC tube on accident. but i fixed it

But i talked to one guy and he told me the method of just unbolting it completely and shoving it in collapsing the steering shaft and fitting the puller on there.

When i did it, i also replaced the gearbox so i just took out 2 bolts and loosened the top one and rotated the gearbox and pulled the pitman arm off before removing the gearbox.

CancerPipe

Aug 8, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
My pitman arm sucked. I wound up cutting it to within 1/8" of the splines and cracking it GENTLY with a chisel. Pulling it after that was cake, but its only a last resort. My idler arm came with the new asembly.

WanaDmaxsub

Junior Member W/gray hair
Feb 17, 2007
I would strongly suggest that you also install a set of pitman/idler arm braces. It is unbelievable the difference they make. For me anyway.

Dmax Grizzly

Always Learning
Dec 26, 2007
Monroeville,Ohio
I spun my gearbox, if you were askin me, because i was laying on the ground and i was working alone.

I would strongly suggest that you also install a set of pitman/idler arm braces. It is unbelievable the difference they make. For me anyway.

2500HeavyDuty, I'll be doing it up on a lift and will try to just spin it first and if it's seems better I'll take it off. Thank's

WanaDmaxsub, I plan on putting the Idler/Pitman arm braces on sometime. I can't wait to see how much of a difference in tighter steering it makes since everyone brags them up like that. I'm sure they'll really help.:)