Best type of coolant

ToyhaulerTom

Old Tom
Jan 1, 2015
Southern California
I'm in the middle of head gasket change and someone told me that DexCool should be replaced with the green glycol coolant. He said that it is more corrosive than that of the normaal stuff. nybody have some thoughts on this?

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I've ways run DexCool in things that came with it, and never had any issues. You need to change it every 5 years, and don't overheat it badly (or it turns black?!?). But that's less of a hassle than changing the green stuff every 2 years, IMO.

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Wallymart has Dex-Cool in the 50/50 mix for around $12.00 a gallon and the posted Dex-Cool below which does not state 50/50 mix at about $14.00 a gallon. So I'm assuming to obtain a 50/50 mix just walk to the other side of the store and pick up a gallon of distilled water and make 2 gallons for $14.00 + the cost of distilled water instead of paying $24.00 for 2 of the 50/50, works for me...
-
-
15y9ky9.jpg

-
-
-

DPC

Jan 2, 2012
Adams, TN
I was tracking DexCool being bearing friendly if you get coolant in your oil and the green stuff will kill them??

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Wallymart has Dex-Cool in the 50/50 mix for around $12.00 a gallon and the posted Dex-Cool below which does not state 50/50 mix at about $14.00 a gallon. So I'm assuming to obtain a 50/50 mix just walk to the other side of the store and pick up a gallon of distilled water and make 2 gallons for $14.00 + the cost of distilled water instead of paying $24.00 for 2 of the 50/50, works for me...
-
-
15y9ky9.jpg

-
-
-

I always run dex-cool too. Horror stories are from idiots mixing it with green coolant. And running it in older engines that werent designed for it.

Tap water is fine, ive never bothered with distilled. Im 99% sure even GM states in the service manual to "do a 50/50 mix with dexcool and clean, drinkable water"

ToyhaulerTom

Old Tom
Jan 1, 2015
Southern California
I picked this article off Wiki:

Organic acid technology
Certain cars are built with organic acid technology (OAT) antifreeze (e.g., DEX-COOL[18]), or with a hybrid organic acid technology (HOAT) formulation (e.g., Zerex G-05),[19] both of which are claimed to have an extended service life of five years or 240,000 km (150,000 mi).

DEX-COOL specifically has caused controversy. Litigation has linked it with intake manifold gasket failures in General Motors' (GM's) 3.1L and 3.4L engines, and with other failures in 3.8L and 4.3L engines. One of the anti-corrosion components presented as sodium or Potassium 2-ethylhexanoate and ethylhexanoic acid is incompatible with nylon 6,6 and silicone rubber, and is a known plasticizer. Class action lawsuits were registered in several states, and in Canada,[20] to address some of these claims. The first of these to reach a decision was in Missouri where a settlement was announced early in December 2007.[21] Late in March 2008, GM agreed to compensate complainants in the remaining 49 states.[22] GM (Motors Liquidation Company) filed for bankruptcy in 2009, which tied up the outstanding claims until a court determines who gets paid.[23]

According to the DEX-COOL manufacturer, "mixing a 'green' [non-OAT] coolant with DEX-COOL reduces the batch's change interval to 2 years or 30,000 miles, but will otherwise cause no damage to the engine".[24] DEX-COOL antifreeze uses two inhibitors: sebacate and 2-EHA (2-ethylhexanoic acid), the latter which works well with the hard water found in the US, but is a plasticizer which can cause gaskets to leak.[16]

According to internal GM documents,[citation needed] the ultimate culprit appears to be operating vehicles for long periods of time with low coolant levels. The low coolant is caused by pressure caps that fail in the open position. (The new caps and recovery bottles were introduced at the same time as DEX-COOL). This exposes hot engine components to air and vapors, causing corrosion and contamination of the coolant with iron oxide particles, which in turn can aggravate the pressure cap problem as contamination holds the caps open permanently.[25]

Honda and Toyota's new extended life coolant use OAT with sebacate but without the 2-EHA. Some added phosphates provide protection while the OAT builds up.[16] Honda specifically excludes 2-EHA from their formulas.

Typically OAT antifreeze contains an orange dye to differentiate it from the conventional glycol-based coolants (green or yellow). Some of the newer OAT coolants claim to be compatible with all types of OAT and glycol-based coolants; these are typically green or yellow in color (for a table of colors, see[15]).

Hybrid organic acid technology[edit]

gmc502

Jan 16, 2011
My friend works for Toyota,,I get their antifreeze.Its pinkish and they use it on all their aluminum head,cast iron block engines.Figured it has to be good for me.Plus free is never a bad thing.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
My friend works for Toyota,,I get their antifreeze.Its pinkish and they use it on all their aluminum head,cast iron block engines.Figured it has to be good for me.Plus free is never a bad thing.

I worked for Toyota for several years their pink coolant takes out waterpumps pretty quick, even though the antifreeze has a life of 100k. That antifreeze made me a lot of money doing timing belt water pump jobs!