LB7: Best turbo for towing and every day driver

saskcan03

Oct 23, 2007
Maryfield Saskatchewan, Canada
Hello everyone,

I have been searching around for a good turbo option for my 03 LB7. It does mostly just everyday driving, and towing as a secondary. I usually tow around 10 000 to 12 000 lbs. I am looking for a good turbo to help keep my EGTs under control for weekend flogging, but not give up drivability and towing. I honestly know NOTHING about turbos and looking for some good real world advise.

Thanks in advance!

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
most guys have seen higher egt's with a 4094 than stock while racing . My Vote is the HTT 64 or 66 for what you are after . the 4094 is a excellent choice for racing .

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
How much power do you want to make? If you just want a little more Id leave the stocker and keep working on tuning. If you want a little more than that like Trent said get an HTT. If you really want the goodies the answer is easy for a DD truck who tows: twins.

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
How much power do you want to make? If you just want a little more Id leave the stocker and keep working on tuning. If you want a little more than that like Trent said get an HTT. If you really want the goodies the answer is easy for a DD truck who tows: twins.

I agree with Jordan, For EGT's and towing, twins are the way to go. I can tow my hauler over a pass loaded, and never see above 1400deg. I have never used a larger single, so I can't compare in that area.

BTW- Welcome

Last edited:

saskcan03

Oct 23, 2007
Maryfield Saskatchewan, Canada
Well I am going to have to agree with you guys, twins would be the best route...that being said, I am assuming they are a lot more money than a single.

As far as tuning goes, I am using EFI live. I am not that great with it, but have managed to make some what I think feels like decent power. I also purchased McRat's race tune when I first got my EFI. It makes great power, but my egt's get way out of hand really fast! By the time I am through 2nd gear, I am HOT.

What would I be looking at dollar wise for a set of twins for my application? I don't want to do a bunch of engine mods, so HUGE power is not really what I am looking for. I just like being able to beat up on sports cars once in a while, but keep my drivability.
:D Maybe I am asking too much...

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
Well I am going to have to agree with you guys, twins would be the best route...that being said, I am assuming they are a lot more money than a single.

As far as tuning goes, I am using EFI live. I am not that great with it, but have managed to make some what I think feels like decent power. I also purchased McRat's race tune when I first got my EFI. It makes great power, but my egt's get way out of hand really fast! By the time I am through 2nd gear, I am HOT.

What would I be looking at dollar wise for a set of twins for my application? I don't want to do a bunch of engine mods, so HUGE power is not really what I am looking for. I just like being able to beat up on sports cars once in a while, but keep my drivability.
:D Maybe I am asking too much...

single is going to be roughfly 3000.00 depends on turbo and such , twins are going to be 4700.00 i beleive . IMOP the extra 1700 is worth if if you got it . but i understand if you dont i had to wait a long time to get my twins . if not there are pleny of good singles to choose from .

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
tow/weekend worrier, it's gotta be twins, hands down. If I had my druthers, there's no doubt what I'd have!! Your power output would be completely dependent upon your tune. It wouldn't have to be a race tune just because you have twins. A set of twins a solid 450-500rwhp tune would be plenty nice for towing and flogging. Then if you wanted to go on a spirited ride every once in a while, load up a fire breather and go shred the town.

That's my opinion. No real world experience though. :(

Fat_Robi

I may be wrong, but...
Sep 7, 2008
Las Vegas, NV / Provo,UT
single is going to be roughly 3000.00 depends on turbo and such , twins are going to be 4700.00 i believe . IMOP the extra 1700 is worth if if you got it . but i understand if you don't i had to wait a long time to get my twins . if not there are plenty of good singles to choose from .

Can't you do twins with the factory turbo as the small charger? How would that make the price?

Jared Duramax

<---- $$$ Whore!!
Feb 13, 2008
Matthews NC
i use one tune in my truck with the 4094 and pull stupid weight with it 30,000-42,000# and i dont have a single issue with it. it spools just as quick as stock and can stay in reasonable temps on hills. plus it is safe with a stock motor. i run 8.00 at the track with a 60' time of 1.90.

I love this turbo

02bigstrokin

Sep 9, 2008
god almighty son, what you pullin with that thing a damn 953c track loader. never heard of anyone having to have a cdl to drive a dirtymax!:rofl: when did they start putting air brakes on them?