Best place for temp sending unit Allison 1000? PPE aluminum pan???

Mogman

May 3, 2020
Papalote, TX
At this time I have the temp sending unit in the cooler manifold on the radiator stack on the return side (return from cooler to trans), I am going to replace the pan because it is rather dinged up and the replacement (PPE) has places for a sending unit, which would be the preferred location? any feedback on the PPE aluminum pans?
Thanks

Last edited:

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Thanks, which pan has a lower profile, I need to stay the same as stock or as close as reasonable.

None of the deep pans are close to stock profile, they're massive. I believe PPE is the only one who makes a stock capacity pan.

As for placement of a sensor, the OEM sensor works very well. Adding a temp sensor to the pan will show you the coolest fluid as it hasn't been worked yet. The OEM temp sensor reads fluid inside the valve body for its temp readings.

Last edited:

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
My apologies. If I am correct it's read through the pressure manifold located on the valvebody, is that accurate?
Yes, which is right next to the pan. My sender is in the very front of the pan by the filter and it reads VERY close to what the data stream shows for trans temp.