Best Duramax manual

Philv

Jan 30, 2018
Surprise, AZ
Ok next weekend I'm doing injectors and a bunch of other work to my truck. Who makes the best detailed repair manual? I need correct torque specs and I also want to relash the valves.

ironmax

chock full of goodies
Jul 7, 2010
Col. Ohio
good luck with the injectors!!! hopefully they all come out with out to much hassle. I have done two sets in my truck and several others and theres a few tricks to doing them efficiently. for the valve cover allen head bolts I would buy new ones as they normally strip out, and the bolts near the firewall are a pain. new return line banjo bolts are a must. Its no small feat if your not prepared. I am sure there is a full guide on here. use the search or go to the lb7 area on here located in hard parts.:thumb:

ironmax

chock full of goodies
Jul 7, 2010
Col. Ohio
And to answer your question I don't know which is the best... all I have is the basic book from vato zone that I rarely use. Most of the torq specs can be found on the internet. or just go to socal diesels site for them.

Philv

Jan 30, 2018
Surprise, AZ
good luck with the injectors!!! hopefully they all come out with out to much hassle. I have done two sets in my truck and several others and theres a few tricks to doing them efficiently. for the valve cover allen head bolts I would buy new ones as they normally strip out, and the bolts near the firewall are a pain. new return line banjo bolts are a must. Its no small feat if your not prepared. I am sure there is a full guide on here. use the search or go to the lb7 area on here located in hard parts.:thumb:
I bought the master kit from LDS. I still need to buy the cup puller and the correct wire wheel to clean the cup bores.

ironmax

chock full of goodies
Jul 7, 2010
Col. Ohio
I just use a plumbers 3/4 " wire brush for that. The kind you use to clean copper fittings. Are you just making the cup puller out of a masonry 3/4" sleeved anchor ? It works like a charm!!

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan

Philv

Jan 30, 2018
Surprise, AZ
Thanks. That'll help on the injectors. I don't normally trust diy write-ups cause you never know where they got the torque specs. Now I just need to find one for valve lash.

Philv

Jan 30, 2018
Surprise, AZ
Ok I found a good download for lash. One thing I don't get is it's saying .012" for all valves. On all diesels I've done, exhaust is different than intake.

Philv

Jan 30, 2018
Surprise, AZ
I don't trust most diy threads in any forum. It's bit me in the ass before. There's been several times I could go on to different threads and get different torque specs from each. That's why I asked about a manual cause they have to put in there what the OEM has in theirs. This is a big job and I have to make sure it's done right cause I can't afford a ****ed up torque speec and break something.