Best Duramax engine model for performance?

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
the fact the LB7 has such a "dumb" computer in comparison to the LMM is why id go with it. there are fixes for cups/injectors/etc. The LMM ecm can be more finicky if you get one that just doesnt want to agree with your setup.

I believe the new heads from Edelbrock have integrated cups.

Personally I'd go with an LB7 due to availability, the ECM does what ever its told without resistance, and they are proven to make great power stock bottom end wise with proper tuning/injectors/turbo. Only other option I would go would be LBZ/LMM with LBZ electronics. They have less wiring to worry about (no FICM) and are pretty stout but they also seem to be the most desirable right now.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
What year lb7? If it’s an 01-02, no question go with it. Those trucks are stupid. If it’s an 03-04 I’d go with the LMM instead.

Could you explain what changed from 01-02 to 03-04? Sounds like some mechanical design changed.

There is zero difference when swapping them. If it worries you, an 02 OS flashes into an 03-04 with zero trouble. For the truck side, 01-02 was the old architecture and 03-04 was the new wiring architecture, but when swappi g it makes no difference. As far as I know, the engines are virtually identical from 02-04 not counting federal vs Cali emission changes. 01 internally is virtually the same, but externally there is some differences.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Could you explain what changed from 01-02 to 03-04? Sounds like some mechanical design changed.

Mechanically they were identical from 02-04 with minor differences in 01 but the OS and I believe some wiring was completely different with the new cat eye body with CANBUS. I also believe the early OS didn’t pull power or at least as much hence, it’s “dumb” but great for making power.

CamaroDMax

Jun 10, 2019
Thank you everyone for the response and help. I made an offer on the LMM and he took it. I will be picking it up tomorrow. The car is at the fabricator to have the sheet metal replace. I will start an build threat in the near future.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
There is zero difference when swapping them. If it worries you, an 02 OS flashes into an 03-04 with zero trouble. For the truck side, 01-02 was the old architecture and 03-04 was the new wiring architecture, but when swappi g it makes no difference. As far as I know, the engines are virtually identical from 02-04 not counting federal vs Cali emission changes. 01 internally is virtually the same, but externally there is some differences.

Beat me to it with more correct info. Thanks FERM