Best Battery maintainer for our dual battery setups?

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Considering my truck gets used very little anymore, Im looking to put a battery maintainer on her, just in case. I looked thru the old threads concerning using battery maintainers in the winter, but nobody volunteered WHICH ones would be the best to use.
I've had very good luck with the Delran Battery Tender Jr https://www.batterytender.com/junior on the Vette, the zero turn and my winch's deep cycle, but Im not sure that one has enough power to keep up two large CCA's like we have.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
I've used the 750ma tender Jr on my truck before, but they're not meant to charge larger batteries. If you put the tender on while the battery is up to charge, theoretically any tender that is above any current draw the truck has will work.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I would think that a battery tender brand with dual setup would be ideal. It puts out 1.25 amps to each battery. And being a maintainer, it will shut off when battery is charged.

2013 Sierra SLE 2500HD Crew Cab
I'm not so sure a two bank is needed or even wanted. our trucks have a single bank of two batteries connected in parallel. do you know if that charger can have it's outputs connected together? because that's what would happen if you put one on each battery

Reactions: fajitatone

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Good info to have. Great thread timing as I was thinking about this over the weekend since my truck sits so much anymore

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Unless you have a major parasitic draw, there's no reason a tender for a single battery won't work. Since they're tied together, they can be viewed as a single large battery.

Reactions: 2004LB7

Ron Nielson

Oct 11, 2009
Berryton, KS
I park my truck for 5 months straight and use a NOCO from Amazon. It works well both on the truck and the ZTR mower - $30 currently. If you start with a charged battery, it will maintain just fine. If your batteries are spanked, buy a 10 amp or larger charger.

NOCO GENIUS1, 1-Amp Automatic Smart Charger, 6V and 12V Portable Automotive Car Battery Charger, Battery Maintainer, Trickle Charger and Battery Desulfator with Temperature Compensation​

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I have a 3 amp and a 6 amp charger/ maintainer from Schumacher electric but both sold under the Napa Brand name and are blue. They were on sale when they first came out so I figured why not, it was cheaper than the Schumacher version that way and i prefer the blue over the red color .

The 3 amp takes time to bring them up but it does maintain them. The 6 amp does it much faster Like within an hour or 2 with the 2 batteries inline.

I also wired in the quick connect Terminal so I don't have to mess with the clamps. Power to the red junction block and ground right off the 2nd alternator bracket.

The latest 3 amp charger has an app you can download and see the charging status of what it's hooked to. Of course I can see the battery voltage on my Alarm System app.

I recommend what ever brand you get, Get a higher amp one. Most of them are Automatic to switch back and forth so as not to over charge and ruin the battery.

Last edited:

660catman

May 18, 2021
I'm not so sure a two bank is needed or even wanted. our trucks have a single bank of two batteries connected in parallel. do you know if that charger can have it's outputs connected together? because that's what would happen if you put one on each battery

I was thinking that as I have a 2 bank MinnKota onboard charger in my boat for the trolling motor batteries.

660catman

May 18, 2021
those have an isolator or switch to separate them, correct?

Now that I don’t know. I talked to a buddy who deals with batteries. He suggested a two bank maintainer with low amperage. He said 1.25 amps is good and if one battery is weaker it will get a full charge and not overcharge the other battery like a single would. I checked mine and one is 12.42 and the other is 12.54.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Now that I don’t know. I talked to a buddy who deals with batteries. He suggested a two bank maintainer with low amperage. He said 1.25 amps is good and if one battery is weaker it will get a full charge and not overcharge the other battery like a single would. I checked mine and one is 12.42 and the other is 12.54.

ok. yeah it sounds like they are isolated as each battery can have different voltages. in our trucks since they are connected they will have the same voltage. it would work good if Tom was thinking of disconnecting the batteries for storage. but not any advantage if left connected

68ss

Dec 30, 2019
Here is what I have. Seems to work great.

Attachments

• CD3D3C27-08F9-4EDA-8CDD-45904AB1CBF6.png
    CD3D3C27-08F9-4EDA-8CDD-45904AB1CBF6.png
    973.1 KB · Views: 10

660catman

May 18, 2021
ok. yeah it sounds like they are isolated as each battery can have different voltages. in our trucks since they are connected they will have the same voltage. it would work good if Tom was thinking of disconnecting the batteries for storage. but not any advantage if left connected

Not sure if I threw you off talking about boat batteries but those voltages I posted are my truck batteries in the truck.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I've used the 750ma tender Jr on my truck before, but they're not meant to charge larger batteries. If you put the tender on while the battery is up to charge, theoretically any tender that is above any current draw the truck has will work.

Same here. You definitely want to put it on while the batteries are fully charged. The Jr doesn't like it other wise. Honestly my batteries didn't last any longer with the battery tender. However here in TX you lucky to get more then 3 years out of a battery, so they might be more valuable other places.

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I have a 2/10amp battery charger for when a battery is dead/down. I want to put a maintainer on my truck bc it gets driven maybe once every couple months anymore, and the batteries do go down in the winter if the truck isnt started once a week or two.
I ended up buying the 800ma water-resistant Jr bc the truck sits outside all the time. https://www.batterytender.com/weather-resistant-800
If it works, great. If it doesnt, its not like I wont use it somewhere else.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
what about those solar chargers that sit on your dash and plug into the cigarette lighter?

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I tried one of those that sit in on the dash and plugged into the cig lighter, but the sun doesnt hit the truck all the time. MUCH easier for me to run a 50ft extension cord out to the truck.

Reactions: 2004LB7