Bent rods

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
I got to thinking that I've really not seen LML bent rods in person or online even. Like the good old days of running dual pumps on your stock engine type of bent rods. It does seem like people generally do not push the lml as hard. Seems like most owners are content with just a tune and level, you know what I mean? But for an engine that was produced for 6 years, I think you'd see it all. They are definitely good at blowing head gaskets and cracking pistons though

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bdsankey

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
I'm just brain storming but you think maybe it's more tuning related? By the time the LMLs came out EFI was out for awhile and all the big tuners figured out how to limit low end fueling to lower cylinder pressures and save rods. I remember the early days when over 500hp and you were on borrowed time. I've made north of 700hp on my current setup and have put 15k not so easy miles on it. That would be unheard of 10 years ago.

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
I'm just brain storming but you think maybe it's more tuning related? By the time the LMLs came out EFI was out for awhile and all the big tuners figured out how to limit low end fueling to lower cylinder pressures and save rods. I remember the early days when over 500hp and you were on borrowed time. I've made north of 700hp on my current setup and have put 15k not so easy miles on it. That would be unheard of 10 years ago.
I'm sure that has a large part in it. Tuning and parts (OE & aftermarket) definitely have gotten better.
The rising cost of the trucks probably disuades people from going over the edge I'm sure.
It might just be a local thing here but I'm just not aware of anyone pushing an lml real hard. Nor would the owners know of much more than the 400 -500 hp truck they MIGHT have... You know what I mean? Seems like the majority of lml owners are just that average guy not looking for much more than tune.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
I only know of a few built trans trucks around my area ( upstate new york) . Let alone an lml past the simple tune and supporting mods. Very rare.

I agree, the trucks cost and potential big failure steers people to shy away from making power

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I think part of it my be that they are cracking pistons before the rods bend. So many are keeping the power down or lower PW on larger injectors to keep the peak pressure in check. As mentioned above, tuning and learning how to keep the engine alive has come a long way.

RMJ_LB7

Feb 25, 2020
California
I believe the reason we ( local to me ) don't see any heavy hitter LMLs is because of smog reasons. If its anything more than a drop in turbo you have to swap everything back on when the time comes to smog again. Lot of guys around me have built LB7, LLY, LBZs and such. Brandon Serpa has a mean LMM I believe and also the Dmax store.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
IMG_2049.jpg
IMG_2045.jpg
Here is some bent rod LML parts. Stock turbo compounded with a 475. The Owner wanted to feel the power. He said he spent money for hp and had the money to build it when it broke. The truck made it maybe 5000 miles if that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: MarkBroviak

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
so what did he build after that? Lol

We did a Fingers piston,Carillos rod and Sonny Bryant crank in the bottom end. Top end is a modded 66 vgt with a 480/96 compound. It’s limited by fuel with 60 overs but still can make 900s.

Last edited:

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
I knew somebody would have put in the work to bend some lml rods. Lol. I think the LML is not as attractive to build bc of the early tuning issues with them and aftermarket turbos. The few built LML's I have seen were plagued with troublesome little issues that drove the owners crazy.

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
The twin turbo guys bend them quite often with fuel upgrades. I'm personally not a big fan of the LML because the fuel system sucks for making power and the pistons are a $40/a piece joke at best. They are nice to drive down the road creature comfort wise but they are heavy and slow compared to the previous models. Really makes me appreciate my LBZ and LMM that I personally own! I'd love a 16 Denali but it's not worth the price to me yet! Have owned the LBZ for 11 years now and my LMM for 8 years and have no plans of replacing either one every.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
I have a few of them out there with zero issues. All run good and have usable power. They can drive it any where and tow anything they would like to and be durable.

sawmilldmax

Apr 2, 2013
Mount Airy,NC
I'll let you know before long. I've got a stock LGH bottom end with LBZ 200 over injectors and tuning with a 475. I'm going to dog the crap out of it when I get it back out of the bodyshop. The first 100 miles have been pretty tough on it and the rear tires.