Bad day at track

2005redlly

Jan 15, 2013
Farmville va
picture.php

First pass went good 12:54 @109
Second pass- not so good lol I'm guessing it didn't lock into 4wheel drive so wHen I let go of the brake I got side ways/ spinning and all. Went back to the pit and knew I had a problem. But it made the hour trip home.

What's my best option to fixing it. Vs cheapest to get it back on the road quick?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
To make sure you can see it:rofl:
Can the grizzly be used for dd or would I want the truetrac

It can be but takes a little bit of a different driving skill if you don't want to wear tires out all the time from accelerating around corners.

Truetrac would be a better choice imho if you don't have the need for a full locker

2005redlly

Jan 15, 2013
Farmville va
Thinking about going with the grizzly. What are some of the driving habits would I need to change?

Also what other bearings, gaskets should I replace? Truck has 275000 miles on it. And do they not recommend running synthetic? Additives? Just picked up moible1 synthetic before I found it was messed up.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Thinking about going with the grizzly. What are some of the driving habits would I need to change?

Also what other bearings, gaskets should I replace? Truck has 275000 miles on it. And do they not recommend running synthetic? Additives? Just picked up moible1 synthetic before I found it was messed up.

any time you take a corner, stay off the throttle. it doesnt take much for these trucks to lock the locker around the corner and chirp/wear the tires. if you are a heavy accelerator from a stop around corners, it will do this as well. you will also get a clicking noise from the locker as it ratchets around corners and the occasional "bang" from the locker kicking in as it was between teeth when you hit the throttle.

really, unless you are an avid off roader where you need max traction cause you pick a tire up often or are a sled puller, the locker is overkill.

yes get new bearings and seals. do not run an additive UNLESS the limited slip you run has clutches. the Trutrac does not use clutches and does not need an additive. You will also need a way to check backlash and be sure it is set correctly once you swap carriers.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
To make sure you can see it:rofl:
Can the grizzly be used for dd or would I want the truetrac

I heard that the Grizzly can be weird in parking lots and rain too. I did the Trutrac and I just love it. :thumb:

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Are the ring and pinion in good shape?

If so, I'd say just buy carrier bearings, screw pulling the pinion and resetting all that if it's in good shape. Make sure to measure backlash before you pull it apart and reset it to that measurement, you don't want to create a new wear pattern.

I went with the AAM tracrite, similar to the truetrac. Has been working great for me.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
That's because it's not a locker ;)

The AAM tracrite and dodge factory unit are one in the same.

Sorta. The dodge unit has a 2:1 ratio inside compared to the true tracs 3:1. Just means the true trac will hold the tire will less traction better than the dodge one will. It can be a noticeable difference depending on driving conditions.

Troysalm71

Feb 28, 2016
Bemidji, MN
We've got a true trac in my brothers big block Camaro. Works great only time I feel it jumping is in dirt turning sharply. On the street I can mash on it without the chirping and wheel hop. His tru trac is made by Detroit.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Sorta. The dodge unit has a 2:1 ratio inside compared to the true tracs 3:1. Just means the true trac will hold the tire will less traction better than the dodge one will. It can be a noticeable difference depending on driving conditions.

That's all fine and dandy, but still not a locker.

2005redlly

Jan 15, 2013
Farmville va
Have anyone ran the Yukon duragrip? Someone on the forum has one for sale. My mechanic friend is going to help me. I don't see any damage with my ring and pinion. And seal wasn't leaking neither. Found the truetrac and carrier bearings/race from bbp for under 1000. Not including shipping

Last edited: