Back in a Dmax

JOE_LEE

Feb 24, 2015
Spanish Fort, AL
**** UPDATE

This has been a crazy weekend. As noted below, I bought my new 2021 AT4 last week. The 2nd night home it rained and the truck leaked. I called the dealer late that afternoon and he encouraged me to contact GM. Of course nothing could be done on Christmas. So, Saturday my truck had a CEL come on at 361 miles and Onstar contacted me that it needed a service within 7 days. The code seemed to be injector related from what I could read online. I tried to call the dealer but they were closed.

This morning I called and talked to the general manager and he told me to bring the truck back and he would make it right. After a long day full of a lot of discussion, the GM offered to take my truck back and let me choose a different truck. The problem was that he didn't have any on the lot. He had some ordered but they had deposits on them. During the day, he had a customer who ordered a new HD back out because he changed his mind and wanted the light color interior instead of black. so I was able to do the paperwork for that truck. It is scheduled to be here sometime around January 10. That is fine because it will probably take that long for them to send back the original credit union check I had and have the new one cut.

On top of it, he put me in a 2019 GMC 2500 Denali Duramax off his used lot as a loaner.

The new truck was more expensive because of a package on it so I did pay for the extra cost of the package.

So it's not the original truck and package I wanted originally but I have no complaints. Now to wait ...

Original post below:
Well I've been on and off the forum over the years with a 2005 Sierra 2500 Duramax and then a 2015 Canyon baby Duramax. I've owned several other brands between then and now but today I picked up my 2021 Sierra AT4 2500 Duramax. I traded in a mint 2020 F250 Lariat Ultimate 6.7 Powerstroke (long story) and there are things I like better about the new GM and things I liked better about the Ford. One of the main things I like better about the new GM is the looks. The factory side steps are on back order.

I searched for a loaded AT4 Duramax within several hundred miles of my house. I found one "in transit" at a dealer 1.5 hours away from me in the neighboring state and happened to be driving through for a different reason. I pulled in about lunch time and the truck had rolled off the truck the night before. I test drove it in transport mode and wrapped in plastic. I went back to pick it up today. I'll be adding a camlocker cross over tool box and window tint in the next couple of days.

Attachments

• IMG_2258.JPG
    IMG_2258.JPG
    490 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_2259.JPG
    IMG_2259.JPG
    479.2 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_2260.JPG
    IMG_2260.JPG
    394.7 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Nice truck what do you plan on using it for? I’m kind of surprised you like the looks of the GMC over the Ford. While I like the GMC better then the Chevy I still Ford has the best looking trucks currently.
Did your Ford have the 10speed? How do the 2 compare?

JOE_LEE

Feb 24, 2015
Spanish Fort, AL
Nice truck what do you plan on using it for? I’m kind of surprised you like the looks of the GMC over the Ford. While I like the GMC better then the Chevy I still Ford has the best looking trucks currently.
Did your Ford have the 10speed? How do the 2 compare?

Yes it had the 10 speed. I plan to update my comparisons over time. I've only driven it 150 miles so far but plan to do another 100+ today.

First, the Ford is definitely more responsive in city driving. I realize the 6.7 Powerstroke has more stock torque and it's evident. I'm not saying the Duramax is sluggish, I'm just saying the Powerstroke is noticeably quicker. Both trucks - crew cab 4x4s.

Second, the Ford interior is more to my liking in the sense that the GM feels more basic. Again, not bad, just "less" than the Ford. (The Ram limited owns the interior game.)

Third, the Ford showed slightly better mpg on the DIC on the same stretches of road but to be fair, I need to drive the Duramax more to compare, the engine still has less than 200 miles on it.

Fourth, the exterior (IMO) goes to the Sierra. I like the big front better and the side bed steps and bumper steps built in.

Fifth, the ride goes to the Sierra. The IFS is simply smoother.

Sixth, the Duramax is quieter than the Powerstroke, which is good or bad depending on preference. (If mine develops the "knock" then that may change LOL).

I'm sure I'll have more comparisons as I drive more. I tow a saltwater boat almost every weekend in the summer and many trips during spring and fall. I also plan to buy a camper of some sort in 2021.

Reactions: Dozerboy

mr450kawman

Mar 15, 2020
Sweet looking truck. I am thinking about a new truck come spring. I really like my black 2007 Sierra Classic 2500 HD CC long bed that I bought new but it may be time for a new one. My truck has 70,000 miles on it but living here in the rust belt it's just a matter of time before I will have to repair some rust issues that are sure to pop up. Let us know how you like your truck after you have put some miles on it.

JOE_LEE

Feb 24, 2015
Spanish Fort, AL
Well it rained last night and guess what? My back glass is leaking into the cab.

There is nothing like having to take back a brand new truck for work.

Cool story - I bought a brand new GMC Canyon Duramax in 2015. On day 2, it lit up the dash like a Christmas tree, went into limp mode and it took the dealer two weeks to find the loose ground.

I have great luck with new GMCs it seems.

JOE_LEE

Feb 24, 2015
Spanish Fort, AL
Update:

Day 3 of ownership - rain and leaking back glass as posted above.

Day 5 of ownership - 361 miles - check engine light, text from onstar and email that vehicle must be serviced within 7 days - code P026C.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
There is a TSB for the leaky rear window. Sucks to hear about the o2 sensor going!!! Not fun on a new truck!