AR-15 parts & suggestions

RMJ_LB7

Feb 25, 2020
California
Good morning everyone!

It is time that I finish my .556 and get some practice in. I already have the lower, upper, bolt carrier, charging handle, grip, butt stop and a vertical foregrip. I was curious on what you guys recommend for a barrel (length and brand) , gas tube, hand guard and also attachments like sights, lights, etc.

Already have a .556 for hunting/long range. This one will be more for self defense, close range, etc. Lets hear what you guys recommend/use and what companies you would recommend as well.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I like my Noveske chrome lined barrel. I would get a 14.5" and pin the muzzle device unless you want to register it as a SBR. Anything longer and it won't do well in close courters or defense

I also have a stainless barrel that seems to preform good but I don't remember what brand it is. Out of all mine I would say my Noveske is the highest quality and most accurate. But also the highest cost

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
Be careful how you built it... As far as I know 'legal' AR's in CA are pretty neutered...
I like my Noveske chrome lined barrel. I would get a 14.5" and pin the muzzle device unless you want to register it as a SBR. Anything longer and it won't do well in close courters or defense

I also have a stainless barrel that seems to preform good but I don't remember what brand it is. Out of all mine I would say my Noveske is the highest quality and most accurate. But also the highest cost
Or build it as a pistol with the appropriate parts (local 'law' dependant, of course)

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

• Sad
Reactions: RMJ_LB7

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Be careful how you built it... As far as I know 'legal' AR's in CA are pretty neutered...Or build it as a pistol with the appropriate parts (local 'law' dependant, of course)

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
No AR pistols in california. Our roster doesn't list any

• Sad

RMJ_LB7

Feb 25, 2020
California
thank you for all the responses guys, I definitely am thinking streamlight. I just purchased a LAPG light for my 9mm and waiting to get it in to test it. Thank you tom for moving to the correct location, my bad.

I have heard about Noveske yet have never tested one so I will do some research on them!

Sadly no AR pistols in California, I would love to do one as my family in Idaho have them. Also california is very restrictive on builds. I am debating about just purchasing a complete one already and then changing a few things. Might be easier for paper trail.

frankenstien

May 25, 2015
Fairbanks,Alaska
I have a 16'' FN CHF Chrome Lined barrel ("government" profile) on my Home defense rifle, mid length gas system, Silencer Co. Trifecta flash hider. it has worked well, I built it in 2013, lots of rounds through it and has ran suppressed

TexasRedNeck

Diesel Newbie
Nov 25, 2012
Houston, Texas
Having built my fair share, for up close the barrel won’t matter much. Choose a lighter weight profile and standard flash hider. 14.5 with pinned is ok but if you ever want to change flash hider/compensator it’s very difficult.

I like Aimpoint reflex optics with Troy Mfg flip up BUIS

Flashlights are ok but remember they are bullet magnets in a gun fight. You can be a snob and get Surefire (which I do like)but there are a lot of good cheap lights. Check out Olight.

Don’t bolt on too much junk. Keep it lightweight.

Hand guards are a personal thing. I don’t really think too much about them because I don’t like putting a lot of stuff on an AR.

Good luck and post up some pics. Here is my latest build in 300blk

157160e02896fb1605a0350601a262c8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Love

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
If you don't run suppressed, then your ears will hate you for firing it indoors for self defense since you will likely not have time to put hearing protection on. Even then it will likely be very loud and painful

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I am in a similar process and went with a Criterion chrome lined 16" "hybrid" profile barrel. Their chrome lining process is different from most in the industry and yields the same accuracy as their stainless barrels.

I went with a Fortis Switch2 15.3" MLOK guard, adjustable gas block, Aero Precision M4E1 receiver set, Elftman pro trigger with screw system, JP Silent buffer, Lantac enhanced BCG in NiB. Flash hider/compensator is undecided as of yet. Mine will be for similar usage as yours.

Noreaster

Jun 13, 2007
Cape Cod,MA
I have a Faxon 14.5" gunner barrel that Im going to pin a strike industries j-comp 2 on, Mass still has a AWB so the brake or comp has to be pinned anyways & the j-comp is a ported hybrid comp.
The gunner barrel is govt size up to the gas block then pencil the rest of the way, nice & light.
I like the Midwest industries slim handguards in mlok, I have a 12.5" on it now but have a 14" on order to try out.
For a defensive setup I think a RMR red dot & decent light is fine. Olight has a flash sale next week for the odin mini light

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I think that RMR red dot may sit a little low for a rifle unless you use a small riser or only have it as a secondary/backup/offset to another site.

For home defense, a tight beam light may be all you need. You may not even get the chance to look down the sights to aim so something that gets you close will be valuable. My shotgun has a light mounted on the 6:00 position and the spread is close to the spread of the shot so gives a good and fast target acquisition capability. And at those distances the aim if the light and barrel is almost dead center to each other

Last edited:

Lanky

Jun 1, 2015
I run a Noveske 16" stainless barrell with daniels defense rail. Geissele makes some nice rails too. For a self defense rifle Id look into a 300 blackout sbr or a "pistol" with the arm brace.