Anyone have experience w/SS trailblazers???

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Found a few in my area that look and drive pretty nice.

I was looking at other rigs that were much more money, but this rig just fits, I like it. Before I jump into something, I figured I would ask y'all what you thought of them, if anyone had tuned or built one, and things to watch out for.

Yes, I will eventually make my way over to an SS forum, but for now, you guys are the smartest and most knowledgable group I know, and I trust you guys, well most of you ;)
:roflmao:

Seriously tho, what's the consensus on the SS trailblazer?
I plan to play around with it, precision turbo(s) yank converter, some head work and eventually a full build, and hopefully have another 10-11sec 1/4mi rig
I love sleepers:joker:

Thanks in advance for the response(s) :hug:

Jason

rmallen30

Aug 12, 2009
hillsboro ohio
In stock form the trans are weak when you start adding power basically the same as our trucks and oil starvation in the motors under rapid acceleration most including me just ran extra qt of oil but other than that I loved mine to death

rmallen30

Aug 12, 2009
hillsboro ohio
Mine was just a decent tune 2wd lowered 22s headers exhaust put a tq converter and a big trans cooler and other basic bolt ons ran strong for what it was for sure I wil post a couple of pics tomarrow

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
A friend has one with tune and exhaust and keeps tearing the AWD transfer case out of it.

Is the one you're looking at an AWD or 2wd?

I'd like to have one myself. May do it if we find that our trucks are less than desirable for packing our baby around once he's born in a couple weeks. :thumb:

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Mine was just a decent tune 2wd lowered 22s headers exhaust put a tq converter and a big trans cooler and other basic bolt ons ran strong for what it was for sure I wil post a couple of pics tomarrow
Cool beans, I'd like to see a pic fer sure:thumb:
A friend has one with tune and exhaust and keeps tearing the AWD transfer case out of it.

Is the one you're looking at an AWD or 2wd?

I'd like to have one myself. May do it if we find that our trucks are less than desirable for packing our baby around once he's born in a couple weeks. :thumb:

Well, I'm looking for the AWD equipped models...that's not to reassuring...:(

I bet there's a brace for the t-case tho...I'll definitely look into that, thanks:thumb:

And that's exactly why I'm looking at them, I want something fun for me and comfortable for the fam, other than our CC/SB D-max.
I love the LS stuff:D
I was looking at cadillac CTS-V's .....holy heck are they expensive, and I feel a lil out of place in it...:baby:
A EC/SB was on the radar, but my daughter is getting to be bigger than the back seat provides room for, and she has needs above and beyond "normal" children, so a SSTB fits the bill perfect:woott:

Here's a link to the one I'm considering:
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...[TRAILBLZ%7CSS]][]]&listingId=345827784&Log=0

Last edited:

sawmilldmax

Apr 2, 2013
Mount Airy,NC
I watched a 2wd black one run a 7.50 at Mooresville, NC last fall. I talked to the guy and he said it had a supercharger, headers, tuning, and drag radials. He blew the tires off at the tree and still ran 7.50's. It also had a single exhaust exit under the bumper and he said he drove it to work every day and averaged 20 mpg. The mileage and the upgrades, you'll have to form your own opinion, but that thing was pretty quick and it was pretty sharp.

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
I watched a 2wd black one run a 7.50 at Mooresville, NC last fall. I talked to the guy and he said it had a supercharger, headers, tuning, and drag radials. He blew the tires off at the tree and still ran 7.50's. It also had a single exhaust exit under the bumper and he said he drove it to work every day and averaged 20 mpg. The mileage and the upgrades, you'll have to form your own opinion, but that thing was pretty quick and it was pretty sharp.

:thumb:
Yeah, they can be made to be quick for sure, right now my biggest debate is AWD OR 2WD

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
I'm pretty sure the t-cases are the major limiter if you want to crank up the power. Any fast Trailblazers I've seen have been 2wd. Gotta remember the power to the front wheels is only being transfered by a few small clutches and an electric motor. No direct mechanical connection.

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
I'm pretty sure the t-cases are the major limiter if you want to crank up the power. Any fast Trailblazers I've seen have been 2wd. Gotta remember the power to the front wheels is only being transfered by a few small clutches and an electric motor. No direct mechanical connection.

Hmm, I didn't know that, but considering what you're saying, can the AWD just be disconnected then, if I wanted to run it hard? So then I could have the safety of AWD on the road and not break parts if I want to take it to the track?

That might be a stupid question, so, sorry in advance if it is :baby:

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
I feel like some electrical tweaking and bypassing may work if a lot of thought is put into it. I don't have much more info on that though. May be something to look into.

Chucky797

Oct 30, 2013
New Bern, NC
i can say i owned one and never had one issue in the 55k miles i had it. i currently let my parents drive it and they have added about another 10k to it. a few things to look out for

1. like stated the stock trans is weak in stock form let alone when you add power.
2. since it has the oil pick up in the front of the pan, it has oil starvation issues. this can be resolved by relocating the pick up, or just running an extra quart in the system.

Mine was tuned from about 5k miles and also an electric fan. There are some great companies making power with those. I never had a problem with my transfer case, but i also wasn't beating on it at every stop light. They have decent power in stock form and take mods very well. if you have any questions you can send me a message. what year are you looking at?

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
i can say i owned one and never had one issue in the 55k miles i had it. i currently let my parents drive it and they have added about another 10k to it. a few things to look out for

1. like stated the stock trans is weak in stock form let alone when you add power.
2. since it has the oil pick up in the front of the pan, it has oil starvation issues. this can be resolved by relocating the pick up, or just running an extra quart in the system.

Mine was tuned from about 5k miles and also an electric fan. There are some great companies making power with those. I never had a problem with my transfer case, but i also wasn't beating on it at every stop light. They have decent power in stock form and take mods very well. if you have any questions you can send me a message. what year are you looking at?

Thanks for the info. I posted a link to the rig I'm most interested in, in the 5th post of this thread, it's an '06' AWD, there is a RWD model that's really nice in my area as well in Sandstone Metallic paint. I live in the PacificNW and with the amount of rain and snow we get, AWD is an attractive option.
As for now, it'd stay relatively stock, although, me being me, it probably won't stay that way for long, maybe a year? I don't want to buy something that won't be able to hold the power I will eventually want to have, I'm thinking probably somewhere around 150-200 WHP over stock through the use of turbo(s)

If that's going to be problematic for the AWD system, I might just abandon the AWD platform for the RWD platform, after all, I do have a sweet 4x4 truck for poor weather.

It seems like there are plenty of options for built transmissions that can handle 1000whp, but significantly less options for the T-case...

Sending PM
Thanks for the help:thumb:

Last edited:

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
maybe a 4wd trailblazer w/ real transfer case miht be an option? they can be had with the equally customizable 5.3 V8 LS and the int/ext can be done up however you desire to look like or better than an SS. I think the reg trailblazer w/ V8 is 5.3 but maybe they are just 4.8??? still an option either way & cheaper than an SS.

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
The regular Trailblazers V8's are 5.3's. But I believe they all come with the Autotrack transfer case, which engages the front end the same way with the clutches, even in normal 4x4 mode.

Been a while though so I could be wrong.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
The one I had I loved to death. Bought it new, Put over 180k on it and the only thing I ever did major repair wise was replace the trans. I managed to snap the output shaft and something in the c2 and locked up all 4 in a skid. It was a great ride though.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming

Where are you getting your info? Thats totally incorrect. Trailblazer SS has an NV120 which is a full-time AWD case, like the Denali/Escalade. Nothing about it is electronic. There are NO clutches...its a torque-biasing unit.