Anybody running these clutches

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
They're in my big HP trans but it doesn't have any runtime yet. They stacked up well but only time will tell. The Alto G3 material with the performance (polished) steels is extremely proven and is another great option in the C3/C4 application.

Last edited:

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
"military grade friction material"

if I was shopping for some, I would walk away just from this alone

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Just like any clutch we won't see how they hold up for a while. Might not have a choice with the Alto waffles leaving the market.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
For the c3 pack in the OPs link. Says you have to log in to see a price
$369.99 for C3 and $264.99 for C4.

Who made these clutches? I don't like the grooves.
I had to laugh at this as well.

I wonder if it's a Kevlar material, pretty popular in power sports applications

I'll reach out to Anthony @ Defeo and see what he will give me info wise. I know I was a beta tester but haven't tested them yet with big power. I'm half tempted to throw them into my tow rig and see what happens.

Update - I reached out to Anthony @ Defeo and this is the information he passed along.

The Xcalliber engineering team collaborated with an OE clutch manufacturer on the paper & pattern design of these clutch plates. They are Xcalliber designed plates where the material has been used in certain Military tank applications. Based on the data comparison it should be a step up from any other aftermarket paper. Contact Xcalliber for any other information.

Last edited:
Reactions: PureHybrid

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
$369.99 for C3 and $264.99 for C4.

I'll reach out to Anthony @ Defeo and see what he will give me info wise. I know I was a beta tester but haven't tested them yet with big power. I'm half tempted to throw them into my tow rig and see what happens.

Update - I reached out to Anthony @ Defeo and this is the information he passed along.

The Xcalliber engineering team collaborated with an OE clutch manufacturer on the paper & pattern design of these clutch plates. They are Xcalliber designed plates where the material has been used in certain Military tank applications. Based on the data comparison it should be a step up from any other aftermarket paper. Contact Xcalliber for any other information.

so basically gives 0 info on the actual clutches. its either reybestos or alto making them and the material sure looks just like G3 material with a different slot pattern.

as mike said, poor groove design

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
For the c3 pack in the OPs link. Says you have to log in to see a price
so basically gives 0 info on the actual clutches. its either reybestos or alto making them and the material sure looks just like G3 material with a different slot pattern.

as mike said, poor groove design

I agree on the unknown material. They feel to me very very similar to the G3 material but Defeo seems to prefer Raybestos for all their kits/builds.

skintback

Take this one to church
Mar 5, 2007
Florida
They're in my big HP trans but it doesn't have any runtime yet. They stacked up well but only time will tell. The Alto G3 material with the performance (polished) steels is extremely proven and is another great option in the C3/C4 application.

When you say performance polished steels? Can you explain more about this?
I have tried reusing ''polished'' koleen slightly used steels with not very good luck when paired with SCZ's in the c3. The same steels with Alto carbonites held up very well other than the shedding problem

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I have tried reusing ''polished'' koleen slightly used steels with not very good luck when paired with SCZ's in the c3. The same steels with Alto carbonites held up very well other than the shedding problem

IMG_8958.jpg

These steels on the left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I agree on the unknown material. They feel to me very very similar to the G3 material but Defeo seems to prefer Raybestos for all their kits/builds.
They do not feel at all like the G3. Their lining is hard as a rock and the pattern will trap fluid which is a no no. That lining was meant for slow moving trucks. No good for the shock apply we do under high TQ.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
They do not feel at all like the G3. Their lining is hard as a rock and the pattern will trap fluid which is a no no. That lining was meant for slow moving trucks. No good for the shock apply we do under high TQ.

The ones I received feel very similar to the G3 material. I don't know if anything has changed etc from the ones I received to what is released now. Mine are the same pattern and same color material.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
The carbonites will barely last 6 months under big power. They shed so bad that they will plug the filter and take out the rest of the clutches.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin

I may have to pull them out of my LLY trans and slap them in my daily driver then in terms of pattern. I leave clutch design to those who know more than me. If you're saying the pattern isn't great then I'll leave it at that.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
there was alot learned about patterns over the years. amazing how they can make or break a clutch.