Anybody run a LLY VVT turbo with a waste-gate actuator controlling the vanes?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
You're not sounding like a dick or anything I am asking and doing something unconventional, not just to be different (except for wanting to show the valve covers that is) It boils down to this statement by Bdsankey which is true:
I've you're wanting it to look more mechanical and hide the wiring, using an LB7 is going to be your best bet. Here's a link to a post with some pictures of a project we did with an old Model A. https://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/threads/lb7-powered-hotrod-rat-rod.67390/page-2#post-1080631

Reactions: Gentrysgarage

Gentrysgarage

Dec 1, 2022
You can't run around at 26,000psi+ of rail pressure 24/7, the fuel system will not survive long term. The hammering effect on components will be too great from what I've learned talking to companies like DDP, S&S, and Exergy.
Thanks, More things to look into, and I appreciate the info!
I've you're wanting it to look more mechanical and hide the wiring, using an LB7 is going to be your best bet. Here's a link to a post with some pictures of a project we did with an old Model A. https://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/threads/lb7-powered-hotrod-rat-rod.67390/page-2#post-1080631
That is KOOL! How were the EGTs without an intercooler, and do you have a pic of the wiring, did you use the factory connectors? Thanks

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
That is KOOL! How were the EGTs without an intercooler, and do you have a pic of the wiring, did you use the factory connectors? Thanks
It actually did have a water to air intercooler, but I'm not sure how effective it was since the heat exchangers used to cool the water were the little finned tube radiator things. It also didn't have an EGT gauge, so I have no idea. I assume they weren't bad since the car didn't weigh anything and had a ton of air available to it. We used all the factory connectors, but since we relocated the FICM inside the cab, we were able to get rid of a lot of the wires from the engine harness and only needed to use one of the bale connectors. Unfortunately I got a new phone a few years ago, and a lot of my pictures were lost with the change. The pics in that thread are the only pics I have.

turbovan

Too many toys!!!
Mar 4, 2018
Abbotsford, BC, Canada.
I like where he is going with the ecm, as look at what's going on now with tuners? EPA is shutting them down and all the good guys are gone.
Also, the FICM's for LB7 and LLY are not being made anymore and companies are asking $2000 US for a refurbished one. Criminal.

Gentrysgarage

Dec 1, 2022
I wonder if speeduino could be made to work. Would likely need an external mosfet to control the injector current but I would imagine that would be relatively easy
Thank you so much for the Speeduino lead! It has a VVT pin out I will not need to rig/run a manual VVT. Also found a readily available truck 48V driver board for the injectors and it is as low as 36.00. Have more research to do, when I get closer I will post a thread on the Duramax Tuning, Logging, and Gauges sub forum.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Thank you so much for the Speeduino lead! It has a VVT pin out I will not need to rig/run a manual VVT. Also found a readily available truck 48V driver board for the injectors and it is as low as 36.00. Have more research to do, when I get closer I will post a thread on the Duramax Tuning, Logging, and Gauges sub forum.
01-05 are above 48V from the factory, keep that in mind.