Anybody have any 1/2 mile info?

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
I noticed that this section of the forum has been dead for awhile now but I want to bring it back up. I am curious if anyone else has ran a Dmax truck in the 1/2mile and what kinda of times we've seen. IIRC Verlon Southwick did somewhere around 154mph in the Silver State Challenge a few years ago but not for sure.
Reason I'm bring this back up is that I love the land speed stuff and I am running my truck this weekend in a 1/2mile shootout here in Indiana and was looking for some data to compare to. Hopefully everything goes smoothly and I have some cool stuff to report back or it will be a complete bust but I hope to have a good time!:thumb:

SSchmi5519

LLY Cult Leader
Oct 19, 2008
Arizona
In my experience with 1/2 mile we run out of gear.

6 speeds getting at about 146-152mph depending on tire size.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Have you calculated top speed of your truck? I know DT had trouble with a speed limit in the tcm, but I'm sure you've got that figured out already. You could always spin it up on the dyno and see how fast it'll go :D

I'm sure those 3.42 gears will help

Edit: I looked up the DT video, they ran full mile down in Texas

Last edited:

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
Love this stuff too Mark! I've tinkered with the idea of running the Texas mile(with many modifications). As someone else said, what's your calculated top speed with current gearing and a safe RPM?

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
My truck will do 162mph in 5th gr @ 4500rpms and I have no clue about 6th gr. I'm sure it will come down to aero drag so I went ahead and we built a custom triple kit in house last week for it. We put a pair of 5-blade StainlessDiesel S472/87 1.0SS over my 72mmStg2R VGT. I'm running an ExergyPerformance 14mmcp3 and 250% inj so it's motivated to say the least! I am going to see how close I can get to DmaxTuner's speed for the mile in a 1/2mile because that's really the only thing I have to go by. Traction is my biggest issue so we will see how it goes but I'm excited about it!

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
No doubt about the traction issue. Lol. I imagine you'd easily have to power to get into 6th gear if you can keep her attached to the ground. Can't wait to see how you do!

Kentucky DuraMax

Gearhead
Dec 30, 2012
I read in DP magazine "Ludicrous Speed" and DW magazine"Red Rocket" a while back a guy was running the half mile. Don't know if it helps but his name is Jay Wilson and its a red 2004 extend cab and said a lot about DTS in the articles. :thumb: I know that 1/2 mile jazz ain't for the faint of heart and as stated previously "BE SAFE" but just case could you please put in your will that I get one those 72mm vvgt's :rofl:

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Are you doing anything to help with lift at high speeds? I was testing to make sure I had disabled the speed limiter on my brother's truck a while back and it straight up went airborne at ~135 MPH, started spinning the tires and ignoring steering input. Luckily the road was straight, and I just floated along until it slowed down and got back to earth :eek:

That was a single cab long bed, no tonneau cover, tailgate in place. My crew cab short bed has been about as fast with no lift issues, so probably the bed-to-cab ratio causing a lot of lift. Just be careful, is what I am getting at :hug: