Info: Any solution for Edge EGT probe

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
Is there another way of using a edge CTS to monitor EGT's without there setup? The probe started to fail in short order, so I reached out to EDGE and they said they will send me a new probe. Is there a way to use higher temp and quality sensors. I don't want to go back to individual gauge unless I have to.

Last edited:

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
Bumping this up...... The edge EGT sensor keeps cutting out randomly, granted since I have gone to the compounds I haven't seen over 1100 degree when it has been working, I would just like to be able to keep a eye on it.

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
I have been trying to find a thread where I remember someone was talking about using a K thermocouple and converting it to a 0-5V signal into the edge, but can't find it. Is this something possible?

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I have been trying to find a thread where I remember someone was talking about using a K thermocouple and converting it to a 0-5V signal into the edge, but can't find it. Is this something possible?

That was me. I used a K-type thermocouple and a scaler box to a universal 0-5V input on the CTS2. It works like a charm and has seen extreme temperatures on MANY trips to Mexico, asphalt track, and the dirt sled pulling tracks.

You will need the following (note, the first thermocouple is what I have as the 1/4" "extreme duty" option wasn't available at the time):

1) Edge 0-5V universal input and plug
2) K-type thermocouple (Link) or (Link)
3) K-type thermocouple scaler/amplifier (Link)
4) Fuse tap to supply switched 12V power, note mine gave weird readings with 5v reference from the CTS power source

After you have those, enter the values off of the datasheet for the scaler box into your edge CTS2 with "my style" software to define the input. For ease of use I picked the two ends of the spectrum and allowed the edge to infer the value because it gave odd readings with many inputs. My table reads 0.00V=32 and 5.00V=2282. You will have to enter the units you want to be displayed in the table headers/my style software. If you have more than one EAS module you may have to unplug them all and only plugin the one you're trying to set up in order to verify the proper input. Besides having a more robust/reliable probe, if you ever do have a failure they are ~1/2 the cost of the edge probes and you can take your pick of ANY k type thermocouple on the market as it is a universal voltage output from the sensors.

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
That was me. I used a K-type thermocouple and a scaler box to a universal 0-5V input on the CTS2. It works like a charm and has seen extreme temperatures on MANY trips to Mexico, asphalt track, and the dirt sled pulling tracks.

You will need the following (note, the first thermocouple is what I have as the 1/4" "extreme duty" option wasn't available at the time):

1) Edge 0-5V universal input and plug
2) K-type thermocouple (Link) or (Link)
3) K-type thermocouple scaler/amplifier (Link)
4) Fuse tap to supply switched 12V power, note mine gave weird readings with 5v reference from the CTS power source

After you have those, enter the values off of the datasheet for the scaler box into your edge CTS2 with "my style" software to define the input. For ease of use I picked the two ends of the spectrum and allowed the edge to infer the value because it gave odd readings with many inputs. My table reads 0.00V=32 and 5.00V=2282. You will have to enter the units you want to be displayed in the table headers/my style software. If you have more than one EAS module you may have to unplug them all and only plugin the one you're trying to set up in order to verify the proper input. Besides having a more robust/reliable probe, if you ever do have a failure they are ~1/2 the cost of the edge probes and you can take your pick of ANY k type thermocouple on the market as it is a universal voltage output from the sensors.
I thought it was you Brad, but couldn't find the post. Thanks for the info, and I try to get everything order so I can give it a try.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I thought it was you Brad, but couldn't find the post. Thanks for the info, and I try to get everything order so I can give it a try.

I've had great luck with the commercial duty probe and wouldn't hesitate to run their extreme duty (I will do that on my built motor truck to take the thermocouple for the LB7 DD). I check it every year with boiling water and its usually within 2-6F. The tolerance is 0.4% of the reading so at 212f it has a range of 203.5F-220.5F.

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
Well I got everything ordered, but its coming out of Michigain, so I am not sure when I will be seeing it. Does anyone know if the Edge EGT sensor is also Converted to 5V's? It would nice to cut off their amplifier and wire it into the new ampilifer so I don't have to buy another 5v expand sensor plug set.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Well I got everything ordered, but its coming out of Michigain, so I am not sure when I will be seeing it. Does anyone know if the Edge EGT sensor is also Converted to 5V's? It would nice to cut off their amplifier and wire it into the new ampilifer so I don't have to buy another 5v expand sensor plug set.

That may be a question to call/email edge and ask. I never went down that road as I had an extra pigtail set.