Any of you guys sledders?

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
When I lived in Oregon I rode a yamaha phazer for work, I sure do miss that sometimes but I don't miss some of what went with that.

Summit_Rider

Jun 6, 2016
I ride a 14 Summit X 163. I just got a new phone and none of my sled pics transferred. I’ve been searching for an 850 haven’t found the one yet. I mainly ride Island Park, Togwatee, Alpine, and Cooke City. Are you going to turbo your 850?

Last edited:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
its all about timberbikes ;) :D

BvsCdgnl.jpg

Summit_Rider

Jun 6, 2016
Here’s a crappy pic of my sled. Currently all I have.

Attachments

• 758AADDC-7BCD-40E3-9C3E-97755C541A7E.jpg
    758AADDC-7BCD-40E3-9C3E-97755C541A7E.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 36

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Up here in northern Canada we have 8 months of winter and some of the best backcountry terrain in the world. Needless to say I’ve been riding sleds all my life. Over the weekend I picked up a new skidonkey for the stable to replace the turbo I have been riding the last couple years.

The old whip

The new ride

[/URL

Gotta be a few guys here that ride, let’s see whatcha got fellas!

What year is your G4?
I am still riding my T3. Making the jump next year maybe to a G4 or an Alpha.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
I've never even seen a snowmobile/sled in person. :D

And I'd have to have the top notch riding gear, snow and I don't get along.

I'm sure there's common knowledge you all just know but how much danger is there in sledding without being able to see what's under the snow? or how soft the snow is - I can see where there's possibilities of "sinking in" if it's too soft like people do in sand when they aren't accustomed to driving in it? Just curious.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I've never even seen a snowmobile/sled in person. :D

And I'd have to have the top notch riding gear, snow and I don't get along.

I'm sure there's common knowledge you all just know but how much danger is there in sledding without being able to see what's under the snow? or how soft the snow is - I can see where there's possibilities of "sinking in" if it's too soft like people do in sand when they aren't accustomed to driving in it? Just curious.

In the flatlands your pretty safe if you know the area. Knowing where the culverts and stumps and what not are along with the disc or harrows a farmer may have left in his field are pretty important.

I ride in the mountains. Biggest risk is the odd treetop, boulder or avalanches. Tree wells can swallow you up but I try to stay away from them. Avalanche terrain is deadly if you don’t know what you’re doing or how to read the snow. It’s all a good time though.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Never been into two wheeled leg breaking hemroid inducing machines. Plus none of my buddies ride snow bikes.

:roflmao:

honestly, coming from riding/racing dirt bikes, jumping on these felt right at home in the snow. its like riding in the dunes but more traction and predictability (which seems counter-intuitive). just needs more power for the steep climbs but running the tight trees is like running the single track stuff in flagstaff (all big pines there). really cool but you gotta be into dirt bike stuff to enjoy them. it makes me wish we had more snow here and i didnt have to drive 12 hours each time to get into decent snow.

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
James, a polaris 850 is less then 150 lbs heavier and 170 hp! I thought about snowbike buy they need more power.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
James, a polaris 850 is less then 150 lbs heavier and 170 hp! I thought about snowbike buy they need more power.

yeah but there is a whole learning curve behind them too! :roflmao: i tried it, had way more fun on the bike. We only go once a year up to Utah and its usually a bunch of snow bikes. now if i turbo one..... :D

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I have ridden the backcountry for 25 years in Idaho, Wyoming and Alaska. My first sled was a 79’ John Deere trailfire 340. I actually bought a snowmobile before a vehicle:spit:. I have been a life long Arctic Cat guy until the 2012 proclimb, what a piece of shit that was, 12,500 bucks and 3,500 in aftermarket parts to make it work the way I wanted:mad: I’m a bit salty about it stil...

Anywho, rode my buddy’s Ktm500 with a timber sled kit a couple winters ago, I’m hooked:thumb: I grew up ridding and racing dirt bikes so I felt right at home. As James mentioned it’s like riding the dunes.

Vmyrhaug

Mar 6, 2016
Norway
yep, have a polaris iqrr, custom tunnel, ez ryde undercarrice, fox evolx dampers, triple 1200cc custom made 2 stroke engine, 163" track.

nice machine, about 240-250hp on engine.
engine is made from watercraft bottom, custom crankshop crank and head from power addiction, edge 800cyl portet and made to fit.
lectron 48mm gassers:)
crankshop pipes.

you can call it a real turbo killer:)

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
I've ridden a dozen times or so over the years, but down here in southeastern Ohio we don't get enough snow anymore to make owning one worth while. Everyone switched to side by sides. When we going skiing I'll usually try and rent a bike for a guided tour of the slopes at night or whatever.

If I knew anybody up north with access to bikes and big open areas to ride, I'd sure be down for a making a trip to check out the terrain.. :woott:

cdbright

JUST RENT IT
Dec 16, 2008
Salt Lake City, UT
here is my old girl. 04 summit 800, but she is now a 161 w all kinds of old mods. still heavy as hell and i have been chaising newer 850s but have not pulled the trigger yet, too many toys i NEED hahahaah:roflmao::roflmao:

picture.php
picture.php

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
Of you turbo one a s get it to last! You better make a kit and you'll become rich quick. They need a 100 horse to make it fun I feel like. I really want to ride one though