Any Alaska members on here?

ljackson2644

Jan 14, 2013
There is no grid heater in the LB7, just a coil heater in the intake. Having said that, it should start at -45*F. I've done it with good glow plugs. She will not like you....It will come up on 3 cylinders and you can count they cylinders when they come up....

It sounds like you have a couple of bad glow plugs.

I've talked to Rok, and he is a good guy, but he is just learning about D'maxes. He is mostly a Ford and Cummins guy, but he is learning about our rigs. He is about the best I have seen in this area.

The best bet is to plug her in.....

Thanks. I got her plugged in for the night hopefully have better luck in the morning. I'm going to give Rok's a call tomorrow see if he can get me in to give it a going over. Glow plugs hard to do yourself? I have access to a full shop and consider myself decent when it comes to working on stuff but never touched a diesel before.

BlkMax

Sep 1, 2008
Wasilla, AK
The thing that scares me about glow plugs is the steel plug in the aluminum head. I used a hammer impact tool in 3/8" drive to get them out. I have had bad luck with other things when using a regular socket wrench....mostly on motorcycles.

The glow plugs came out well for me. I used aluminum based anti-seize when the new ones went in. For me I had both fender wells out, and the front tires out. The firewall sides were still hard to get out.

Do NOT use a copper based anti-seize. You will end up with corrosion problems on the aluminum heads.

Let me know if you need a hand, I am in Wasilla and have a full personal shop. Send me a PM if you have troubles. I also get some pretty good pricing from the Lithia dealerships....

ljackson2644

Jan 14, 2013
The thing that scares me about glow plugs is the steel plug in the aluminum head. I used a hammer impact tool in 3/8" drive to get them out. I have had bad luck with other things when using a regular socket wrench....mostly on motorcycles.

The glow plugs came out well for me. I used aluminum based anti-seize when the new ones went in. For me I had both fender wells out, and the front tires out. The firewall sides were still hard to get out.

Do NOT use a copper based anti-seize. You will end up with corrosion problems on the aluminum heads.

Let me know if you need a hand, I am in Wasilla and have a full personal shop. Send me a PM if you have troubles. I also get some pretty good pricing from the Lithia dealerships....

I really appreciate it. I'll keep that in mind. I'm just hoping I didn't buy a truck that I'm going to have to dump a bunch of money in right off. Bought it cause I needed something more reliable. Well I drove the old truck around today...kind of defeats the purpose don't it. I'll see what Rok has to say after I have him look at it. Thanks a lot.