Another '03 LB7

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Picked up a 2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD CCLB LB7 4x4 with a utility bed on it. I have always liked this style of utility bed where it matches the body lines instead of just being a big square box.

It needs injectors BADLY, so I towed it back to the farm:
20220205_123559.JPG

The body is a bit rough, and it needs some front suspension work, but the price was right. Engine seems otherwise healthy (no blowby, sounds good, etc.), and from the little I drove it around the trans and 4x4 all seem fine.

Only real downsides are some idiot cut the exhaust off after the cat (why not cut the cat off too?!? LOL) and did the worst AirDog install I've ever seen. They bypassed the factory fuel line to the engine, but instead of using a long enough piece of flex line they pulled it so tight you can use it as a dang guitar string. To keep it from touching the exhaust they wrapped it around the steering shaft. I wish I was joking. I'll get a photo next time I go out to the farm.

Thinking I will put in a set of SAC45 injectors, fix the lift pump install, and try and turn down my normal SAC45 tune enough the trans will live. Make a great farm truck until I figure out a long term plan for it. If my main truck was a long bed, I'd swap this utility bed on in a heartbeat.

Does anyone know the brand of the utility bed? I don't see any obvious brand, and I'd like to pick up a couple replacement parts to get it back to 100%.

Reactions: SmokeShow and dndj

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
nice find. didn't even know they made that style of bed. looks like it could come in handy

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
man i use to know that brand like 10-12 years ago but ive completely forgotten. i wanted one of those beds so damn bad but at the time, i could only find short bed versions. Long beds were like finding hens teeth. they didnt make them very long IIRC.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I thought it was knapheide that made those beds…..?
It looks like the Knapheide KSS was similar, but didn't match the body as well and was a bit taller. Can't find their old catalogs, maybe this was a different model? But I suspect it was a competing brand.

man i use to know that brand like 10-12 years ago but ive completely forgotten. i wanted one of those beds so damn bad but at the time, i could only find short bed versions. Long beds were like finding hens teeth. they didnt make them very long IIRC.
I had no idea they made a short bed version. I've only ever seen 3 in real life (including the one I bought) and they have all been long bed. Dang, now I need to keep looking for a short bed one for my blue truck.

I have always wanted a CCLB, so this one will get fixed up and used one way or another. Just wish I could find more info on the bed. Starting to think I am going to have to just fab up replacement parts given how rare it is.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
You can always go with the SAC00's.
I keep going back and forth on that. The SAC00 and SAC45 cost basically the same, and the 45s leave some potential to turn it up down the road vs the SAC00.

It would be easy to leave it stock tuning, but I don't mind writing tunes. I already wrote one for my brother's truck which has SAC45s.

I'll probably keep waffling back and forth right up until I actually order one or the other

Sent from my FlashScan V2 using Tapatalk

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
And then waffle back and forth if you got the right ones lol. Hell I got reman’d injectors and still question if I should have gotten new lol. But with the same warranty why not? I wonder if the SAC00’s have any driving improvements compared VCO’s? I’m really digging my SAC45’s!

Reactions: DAVe3283