Amp power steps for L5P. HELP!

Feb 13, 2019
Ohio
Soon I am installing a 8” readylift. I want to install Amp power steps. I have heard that 1500 steps can be installed on a L5P. Has anyone done this or know if it is true? I want the XL steps but was told they don’t make them for the 2500 L5P. Any help is appreciated. Thank you :)

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
You can only do this if you do not have a def tank.

The steps hide completely when using the 1500 sets. But require no def tank

036.6turbo

Jan 17, 2014
My def tank is gone, but I found a set of steps on FB marketplace for an L5P, $800 new in the box, so I went for it.

We did the gasser steps we put on my son's deleted LML. Here is my observation of the difference between the two;

1. The L5Ps do not tuck nearly as close. But the flip side of that is the fact that they act like guards over the rocker panels. Here in Michigan with the snow and salt, that's not a bad thing?

2. The L5P steps have a motor on all four of the hinges, gasser steps only have motors on two of the hinges. The other two just come along for the ride.

3. The front hinge / motor assembly on the L5P is very close to the front wheel. So close that I could see it being an issue for turning clearance when running oversized tires.

I'm a cheap bastard, so for the deal on got on the L5P steps, I'm happy.

Feb 13, 2019
Ohio
Thanks 036.6 turbo. Wow. That’s a great deal for $800. Cheapest I can find them for the L5P is $1,399. I’ll probably just bite the bullet and buy the ones made for my truck. Especially if they have 4 motors on each side. No one ever said owning a diesel was cheap! Lol

036.6turbo

Jan 17, 2014
Thanks 036.6 turbo. Wow. That’s a great deal for $800. Cheapest I can find them for the L5P is $1,399. I’ll probably just bite the bullet and buy the ones made for my truck. Especially if they have 4 motors on each side. No one ever said owning a diesel was cheap! Lol

You are welcome.

Two motors per side, four total. Gasser sets have one motor per side, two total.

And no, these trucks are not cheap. If you need anything else, sing out.