Am I in Trouble?

Tim W.

Apr 11, 2021
Hi All,

I have a 2007 Chevy 2500 HD classic with an LBZ Duramax in it with 98,000 miles. The other day it would barley start and when it did it ran really rough like it was missing. I shut down and got my code reader. P0190 code. So, after looking at what was all involved in just diagnosing the problem I decided to take it to a shop. Called around my area and found one place that said they have an ASE Diesel mechanic that specialized in Duramax.

I had it towed on a Monday and they started looking at it Tues. By Weds the shop called and said it had a few problems and they were getting multiple codes related to the fuel pressure and my alternator and batteries needed to be replaced. I knew the batteries were going. Did not expect the alternator to be bad because I always watch the output and under load it is always over 14+. They told me the fuel pressure related codes indicated the fuel pressure sensor and fuel pressure regulator were bad.

So, I authorized all the work - batteries, alternator, sensor, regulator. This Tuesday they will have had the truck for two weeks. They called me yesterday (Sat) and said they needed a bunch or o-rings and metal gaskets and they had to get them from the "warehouse" and would send for them Monday and have my car ready by the end of Tuesday - the end of the two weeks.

I've changed the batteries a few times and have removed the alternator to have it tested and it was all done in a couple hours. They are charging me $760 for sensor plus labor to install, $600 for regulator plus labor, and $350 for alternator plus labor to install. They are all suppose to be OEM AC/DELCO parts.

Is two weeks a normal amount of time for this type of repair and are the costs for the parts normal? Thanks for any help. I worry I'm in trouble here.

Ron Nielson

Oct 11, 2009
Berryton, KS
This is for my 2008 model, so yours would be a little different:

Parts InformationOEM Part #Price
Fuel Pressure Regulator
Fuel Pressure Regulator97384667 $475.76

Labor InformationSkill LevelMfg. WarrantyStandard
Fuel Pressure Regulator
Replace
Fuel Pressure Regulator B 2.1 4.2

Fuel Pressure Sensor/Switch
Replace
Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor B 2.5 3.5

Parts InformationOEM Part #Price
Alternator
Alternator
Alternators Are Sold As Assembly Only.
15204278 $335.04

Alternator
Replace B 0.0 1.4

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
As far as the pricing goes, they all seem high. Looks like a genuine Bosch FPR from a supporting vendor here should be no more than $150. The rail pressure sensor runs around $425, and I can not imagine any alternator except a rewound HO alternator being more than $200. Unless they have torn your whole fuel system apart none of these would require any special o rings or metal gaskets. If they have then there will probably be some banjo fittings that need replaced. All in all, if that truly is the fix to the issue you’ve been having, I dare say you could easily do it yourself in a few hours for well under a grand including batteries.

Reactions: 2004LB7

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Bad batteries can cause all sorts of issues with these trucks. I would've started by replacing them both, also had the alt tested for output, then delved into the other issues if they persisted.

As for the costs, you're getting bent over. Yet another example that I'm in the wrong business.

Tim W.

Apr 11, 2021
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'll post the outcome here...at this point I just hope it runs good when I get it back.

08lmm72mm

May 13, 2019
Saskatchewan, Canada
They are charging you over 300% markup on the regulator. 200% markup on the alternator, and the fuel pressure sensor on these trucks rarely go bad. IMO you are getting bent over without lube, I sure hope it runs good after.