All over the place when launching

LBZ_Baker98

Jul 8, 2016
Texas
I have an 07 LBZ CCSB and when launching in 4 wheel drive it's all over. It is leveled and on 20x10s with 305/55r20 bfg all terrains ko2s. When I had my stock wheels with it leveled I could launch the crap out of it and it would go straight as an arrow and really didn't feel to hard on the front end. The second I put on my 20x10s I couldn't launch that thing at 2 psi if I wanted. I know leveled trucks and launches don't go together but it launched great before these 20x10 wheels. The stock wheels were running 33s on them and it had no problem. Will a DHD brace help me launch with the 20x10s? Entire front end rebuilt with all Moog parts about 15k miles ago and running PPE Sleves. Thanks in advance

Chad006

Drag racer wannabe
Feb 12, 2015
Goodlow, B.C.
Man you guys are a bunch of grandpas here haha I don’t like the big offset forces as much as the next guy. But what’s wrong with a nice 20x10 rim with a little offset? I race my truck on 20x10 -24 offset wheels and the truck launches great. I’m running the full kryptonite setup, best 60’ to date is 1.6. Sorry I have no input on the DHD brace as I’ve never used it, heard good things though.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Man you guys are a bunch of grandpas here haha I don’t like the big offset forces as much as the next guy. But what’s wrong with a nice 20x10 rim with a little offset? I race my truck on 20x10 -24 offset wheels and the truck launches great. I’m running the full kryptonite setup, best 60’ to date is 1.6. Sorry I have no input on the DHD brace as I’ve never used it, heard good things though.

Because a guy can go way faster with a better wheel/tire combo without dropping a crap of money on a expensive front end. Yes you can get these trucks to launch with big wheels. But it's hard on crap and will hurt your 60fts. I ran 1.56 60fts for 2 years on stock tie rods with sleeves and a brace.

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
-12 is my limit. If you have a leveled front end I don’t see that brace saving anything, might give the center link and pitman/idler arms a stopping point when they bend but if you’re gonna run those wheels with a leveling kit your probly gonna have to run a straight center link and it’s still not gonna be perfect but it’ll keep you out of the ditch.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Simply put -- you answered your own question in your post.

Your wheel and tire choice, along with leveling your front suspension, is your problem.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Are you running those wheels and getting consistent 1.6 60' times on a leveled truck? If so, you are the exception rather than the rule.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Wider wheel means more off set, more off set means more leverage on steering, more leverage means what ever little bit of flex you have is greatly amplified OR it will induce flex into parts that you did not have with wheels that had less off set.

Leveling the front end ups the risk of suspension/steering flex. Drop the front end or put less off set wheels on and your issues will go away

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Yeah. Install a 4” lift with 1” or 2” block in the rear and the front dropped down to “stock leveled” height.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
I’m gonna piss everyone off here. Although I never took it down the track to figure out my 60’ times, I did do many boosted launches with my lb7 with 22x12 and proxys. Truck was lowered to flat angles in the front. And had HD tie rods. Launched straight every time.

Now leveled? Yeah that’s never gonna happen dude. And sure buy a dodge and have shitty trans and interior and ride quality.

1TRIKHD

Country boy Limo.
Sep 15, 2015
P.N.W
I had 305/50 nitto 420's on 20x12 lowered all the way up front and a fully built front end and she still got jiggy a little bit when launching hard in 4wd. Running a 265/75 r16 now on my pyos and its night and day difference at the track. I'll never run a big wheel at the track again. Some guys can get it to work for them and thats awesome! Boostwhore is the exception to the rule like Josh said.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
I cut consistent 1.7 flat with a 305/50/20 and launch at 12psi with one finger on the wheel.

Having cranked bars and doing boosted launches is like ****ing a street walker without protection. It ain't worth the risk.

Chad006

Drag racer wannabe
Feb 12, 2015
Goodlow, B.C.
I had 305/50 nitto 420's on 20x12 lowered all the way up front and a fully built front end and she still got jiggy a little bit when launching hard in 4wd. Running a 265/75 r16 now on my pyos and its night and day difference at the track. I'll never run a big wheel at the track again. Some guys can get it to work for them and thats awesome! Boostwhore is the exception to the rule like Josh said.

Has definitely taken allot of trial and error to get the truck to launch the way it does. One of these days I will get rid of the boat anchors and treat the ole girl with some cheaters or radials at the track:thumb:. Get your cv’s flat like others have said and a decent set of shocks, from what I understand most guys get by with that DHD brace and sleeves. That’ll be a good starting point.