Agreed on Parts list needed for transplants

TIM Z

Screwed by 0087s
Jan 17, 2009
Navarre, OH
The BullyDog H3 with non intercooled LBZ duramax used a bullydog monitor for gauges,

Also in one of my old Diesel world Mags someone built a 63-65 Chevy truck for Matt Hughes, / LBZ Allison swap, Didnt see a factory truck cluster their either.

Sounds like PPE is the place to get the swap info.

Last edited:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
From the Chevelle picture it looks like the Duramax cluster is not needed. Any other parts needed for a basic swap or is the list complete?
The one in the Impala is a digital cluster. Not a stock unit out of a pickup.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
You will the throttle petal and sensors.

Unsure on controls such as gear shifter, T/H button n tap shift buttons on the 6-spd alli.

If it's 4wd I think the elec xcase feeds signal through the bcm so that might be needed.

Poltergeist

Ghost in the Machine
Aug 1, 2006
Ontario, Calif.
www.poltergeist.us
The one in the Impala is a digital cluster. Not a stock unit out of a pickup.

It was hard to tell on the Impala what is in it so I wasn't sure.

You will the throttle petal and sensors.

Unsure on controls such as gear shifter, T/H button n tap shift buttons on the 6-spd alli.

If it's 4wd I think the elec xcase feeds signal through the bcm so that might be needed.

Added the throttle pedal and sensors. Gear shift I think you could do a number of things for that. The rest seems like you could do without or at the least are not absolutely needed for a swap.

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
I know that even changing Casper from LLY to LBZ we had change the cluster. Had to also change LLY throttle pedal to LBZ.

That was mainly so you could get the proper "M" mode display in the DIC; the older DIC's will go blank when you put it in "M".

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
There's a YouTube video outlining the bare necessities to get a Dmax running outside it's native vehicle. This particular one is on a stand.

Beyond what the video shows is almost totally dependent on what transmission u run and whether it's 2wd or 4wd.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
There's a YouTube video outlining the bare necessities to get a Dmax running outside it's native vehicle. This particular one is on a stand.

Beyond what the video shows is almost totally dependent on what transmission u run and whether it's 2wd or 4wd.
Do you have a link? I searched but couldn't find anything.

Poltergeist

Ghost in the Machine
Aug 1, 2006
Ontario, Calif.
www.poltergeist.us
He said the pump was from the donor for the motor I think. But any pump for an FI setup would work wouldn't it? The relays looked like standard automotive relays like I have in my Elky for the LT1 that is in it.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
He said the pump was from the donor for the motor I think. But any pump for an FI setup would work wouldn't it? The relays looked like standard automotive relays like I have in my Elky for the LT1 that is in it.
I know, but these trucks don't have an in tank pump. That's what has me confused.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I did an 01 LB7 into my 95 SUBURBAN and have it mostly finished up(still fighting with my PENSACOLA injectors). You don't have to use the DMAX cluster for the swap, and modifying the harness isn't that bad if you have patience, a good soldering gun, marine heat shrink tubing, and some imagination. The easiest way is to get a running donor truck and start there obviously. As mentioned you need 1/2" feed and 3/8" return lines for the fuel system(others have used 3/8" and 5/16" but you MUST run a lift pump). The tank in mine isn't baffled and wasn't from the factorsy and so far I haven't had fuelk starvation issues under accel. The only real hurdle with the guages is finding a spot to hook up a temp guage as GM didn't put many places to squeeze one into(I'm running a remote one in the heater line).

Here's a link to DTR where I posted quite a few of the details on mine.
http://www.dieseltowingresource.com/showthread.php?t=10142

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Thanks Mitch! Anyone know what pump and fuel pump relay he's talking about? :confused:

I Emailed this guy some and from what he said he just used the fuel transfer pump circuit to power the relay which makes me think it doesn't work as it should. I used the old style 3 wire sending unit like the 6.5's and early gassers used and let it trigger my fuel pump relay.