Agreed on Parts list needed for transplants

Poltergeist

Ghost in the Machine
Aug 1, 2006
Ontario, Calif.
www.poltergeist.us
OK most of you know I am a hot rodder which is why Pat & Kat asked me to help with the site. But I am a Diesel noob. So here is the question:

What is a complete list of everything that is needed to transplant a Duramax and get it running correctly into say: a 69 C10. If we can get a good list I'll make this a sticky.

Obvious is:

1. Motor
2. ECM & wiring harness for motor
3. TCM, Transmission & wiring harness (if wanting to use a modern trans)
4. Reprogramming of the ECM so it will run in an older truck/car/boat
5. intercooler/plumbing
6. Fuel Injected fuel system: Baffled fuel tank, pump and lines
7. Throttle pedal and sensors
8. Motor mounts
9. ??

Poltergeist

Ghost in the Machine
Aug 1, 2006
Ontario, Calif.
www.poltergeist.us
No I'll do a 427ci LS2 in the Camaro before a diesel. Just easier to do a ci upgrade. But you never know if I'll get a wild hair and do something to some older iron.

** on Edit - I figured that we should get a good solid list of the basics of what is needed for anyone thinking about doing a swap like this.

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
Need confirmation on this. In the LSx world you do not need the cluster, so is this true in the diesel world?

I know that even changing Casper from LLY to LBZ we had change the cluster. Had to also change LLY throttle pedal to LBZ.

Vrabel

TOYAHOLIC
May 22, 2008
Hewitt, NJ
I've seen a couple of swaps. and they all used the cluster. remember that sweet '55 suburban that somebody showed last winter? that swaped in one too.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Isn't the cluster only required if you want to use the factory gauges? Couldn't you use mechanical gauges for everything if you wanted?

Poltergeist

Ghost in the Machine
Aug 1, 2006
Ontario, Calif.
www.poltergeist.us
I know that even changing Casper from LLY to LBZ we had change the cluster.

That would probably be so that you have gauges. But in doing old iron would you need to adapt the cluster? With the LT1 in my El Camino I did not need to use an LT1 cluster. LSx swaps that have happened did not need to use an LS cluster. For speedometer I'm going to guess you could use a Cable-X box to use your original speedometer (cable type) or like I did with my El Camino an aftermarket speedometer that can count the pulses from the trans tail piece.

But is the stock cluster needed to run the motor in a swap?

Vrabel

TOYAHOLIC
May 22, 2008
Hewitt, NJ
makes life alot easier if you swap out entire electrical, even with column. plus then you'll have modern convienences.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
This is a picture of the interior of the Pimp-My-Ride Duramax Impala:

0707dp_06_z+1965_chevy_impala_ss_duramax+interior.jpg

Here's another of the PPE Chevelle:

0906phr_02_z+1970_chevy_chevelle_turbo_diesel+steering_wheel.jpg

Last edited:

Poltergeist

Ghost in the Machine
Aug 1, 2006
Ontario, Calif.
www.poltergeist.us
dmax and BBC iron are with in 100lb each other..
what the dutys weekend cruising or racing?
rear axle..

D60
D80
10.5 14b
1150AAM

really built 9"

This is a theoretical swap to get a list. I don't know what people would be using their swaps for. The example of a 69 C10 is just that an example to get some kind of list going for anyone thinking about it.