Aftermarket factory-appearing Duramax block

dordtrecht5

Regular Cabs Rock
Jul 21, 2009
Wherever I am working
The distance between the centerlines of each cylinder bore. If it wasnt stock, you would also have to manufacture your own crankshaft, heads and rocker shafts etc for it to work. Stock bore spacing is required in all pulling classes.
If you look at big, big cubic inch gasoline stuff, like Sonny's, they change the bore spacing so the bore size can be humungous and still have material between the cylinders.
Sorry, maybe I worded it badly. I know the definition of "bored spacing."

I am asking what the spec is for the bore spacing on the block in the OP.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
Where can a guy inquire about this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Going to be a while before we will even be close. There is so much involved, and I’m in no hurry to rush a block to be done. Still in the process of making molds, and will need to tool up the CNC once we have cores ready to machine. On a good note.., I got a call from Gale Banks today, he’s going to be sending us specs on including the L5P rear reluctor and sensor, so we can make one block work for any combination 01+ .

ctodd36

Nov 4, 2016
Otego, NY
Going to be a while before we will even be close. There is so much involved, and I’m in no hurry to rush a block to be done. Still in the process of making molds, and will need to tool up the CNC once we have cores ready to machine. On a good note.., I got a call from Gale Banks today, he’s going to be sending us specs on including the L5P rear reluctor and sensor, so we can make one block work for any combination 01+ .

Very nice! Ok I will keep in tune with this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Going to be a while before we will even be close. There is so much involved, and I’m in no hurry to rush a block to be done. Still in the process of making molds, and will need to tool up the CNC once we have cores ready to machine. On a good note.., I got a call from Gale Banks today, he’s going to be sending us specs on including the L5P rear reluctor and sensor, so we can make one block work for any combination 01+ ����.

So are you making l5p crank fit older blocks?

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
So are you making l5p crank fit older blocks?

No, talking about being able to use old style crank “or” new style crank in the blocks we are doing up.., not using an L5P crank in an old style block. Gale said I would have to add a sensor hole to the block, waiting to see the file of the rear of the L5P and will go from there.

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
You know you've made it big when Gale Banks calls you with good info :thumb: :cool:

Nah, he’s a gear head just like all of us, very humble guy and always a wrath of great info. I hadn’t talked to him directly in a few years. We spent about 20min BS’ing about racing and a house he’s building up in the mountains by me. He just bought an L5P truck for himself, that’s awesome for the derringer advancement. I’ll be trying one out in my L5P at the track, comparing current time slips vs derringer, and reporting everything back to him. Would be awesome to see better than a 14.3 ET like Scortcher is capable of, we saw 14.9 stock.

RickDLance

Feb 14, 2007
Have you got an estimate on how much lighter the aluminum block would be than stock in an LBZ application?

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Last I asked Russ about em (been a 2-4wks ago) I believe design is complete. It's at a point where quite a chunk of change is needed to get tooled up for 'em. That's where he stands but said he had a few other projects he was working on before putting anymore money into producing the blocks.

But hopefully he'll be along shortly to give a more definitive update. :thumb:

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
FEA testing is being done now before we get onto molds :thumb: . But yes, I’ve got one other major project that needs to be wrapped up, before I jump into the expensive part of the block project :hug:. I was able to get some awesome pointers from Zach Hamilton to keep me on track with things, & it’s greatly apreciated.

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
Any update on this?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Nope, been playing with my gasser Nova this season, and had a couple big projects to get wrapped up. Everything is ready for me to get the ball rolling with hard parts, but trying to talk myself into dropping $80k on the project hasn’t been fun .

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Bringing this back up, any update on this Russ? I'm hoping to be assembling a better block for the 2022 season and this would be my ideal starting point vs say an LML or LBZ block. Have you thought about taking a deposit on blocks to help offset your tooling costs? The hard part there is if any changes need to be made out of your internal testing.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
He told me not too long ago that he's shelved it for now. I'm sure he'd sell the right folks the CAD design at this point? :D

I wish I had the funds or the means to get a block cast. It's going to take a big name shop/engine builder to do this if Russ is going to pass the project along.