Aftermarket CAC opinions?

DieselDemon18

Aug 25, 2011
Moreno Valley, Ca
Hey folks,

Getting ready to build up my motor soon and want to do other upgrades while in there, one of which being a upgraded charge air cooler, thinking of going with a Banks Techni-Cooler however im open to suggestions, truck is currently running a 4094R i have 3"piping setup already for it. Truck only sees about 45 psi tops under WOT (om stock piping, 3" not installed yet) egts stay in a respectable range.

Now my question is: would it be worth it to upgrade? If so whats your recommendation? Ive been doing some research but ive been seing mixed information on alot of older threads so thats why i figured id ask here, is it worth it or is the coin better spent elsewhere?

Thanks

Last edited:

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Unless yours is leaking I would just stick with stock, but yes Banks seems to be the best one out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I agree Dozerboy, leave it stock until it gives you a reason to change it. I also agree and I think the Banks is the best intercooler that is a direct drop in for these trucks. I am not a fan of an intercooler with fabricated end tanks as they don't promote as laminar/smooth flow as a cast tank simply because the casting can be adjusted to promote flow whereas it's hard to do with a fabricated end tank. I had a Mishimoto and it wasn't a bad unit but was much more restrictive than my banks currently is.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
You also have CG&J that makes Intercoolers. They are well made right here in the USA.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
I have ran them at 84 psi. Stuckey Racing who had the green twelve valve that was the top truck back then was well over 100 psi and that’s what they were using.