Advice for initial start up after HD/ injectors

lesrrt

03 LB7
Dec 1, 2018
PortDeposit , MD
Ill try to be brief and to the point. Just did HD Mahle class 3 gaskets with new 30% injectors and all listed in my signature. I am converting my Lb7 from CA to Fed. Currently has PPE ECU Standard tune #5. I have deleted the Intake heater. I think I can omit the separate module for this?
Also, replaced the Y bridge with an orig. fed unit; can I use the turbo Pressure sensor that is on the CA bridge for the fed y bridge? It had a vacuum line on it. I think the Fed trucks don't because of butterfly in the CA bridge?
Should I put the original stock tune back prior to starting, or just start as is. I will get a MIL either way until EFI live. I'll have pics soon.
Thanks!
Les

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I'll try to hit all your questions.

Can you omit the separate module for this [intake heater]?
If you are wondering if you can remove the intake heater relay, yes. My truck doesn't have the intake heater or the relay, and everything works fine. You will need to turn off the codes in EFILive, and set the intake heater run table to 0's.

Can you re-use the CA turbo pressure sensor [MAP] on the Federal Y-bridge?
Yes. Replace the hose on the MAP with a seal, GM part #16194007. I believe the seal used on the LS MAP fits, and that's basically free at any junkyard. The part number listed is $7-10 unless your dealer is greedy. The trick is holding the sensor into the Y-bridge. The GM bracket is discontinued, and I couldn't find one anywhere in the US. What I did was cut the CA bracket down and tweak it so the sensor and holes lined up. It was pretty easy, all it took was a hack saw and a vice to bend it in. Threw some black paint on so it wouldn't rust, and it looks factory.

Should I use the original stock tune, or leave the PPE?
With 30% larger injectors, I would turn the tune down or take it easy until you have the right tuning. You will be OK on the PPE #5 if you are easy on it. Though you're going to want to return it to stock before getting EFILive. BUT...given how far apart the engine was, I would start and idle it with the current tune. That way you don't risk the reflash going wrong. Once it starts and idles with no codes (except the intake air heater codes), you're probably safe to re-flash the stock tune. I don't like doing a flash right after any wiring (even unplug and re-plug), but I'm paranoid.

Good luck!

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Here's the bracket I made out of the CA bracket.
MAP bracket.jpg
You don't need to keep much of the CA bracket :angel:

Attachments

• MAP bracket.jpg
    MAP bracket.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 58

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
just fyi, the heads on a lb7 federal have better flowing ports than the cali version so keep that in mind OP

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
I wouldn't run anything over stock pulse width on 30% overs if you want the trans to live. We limped my buddies trans on 1500us with 30% injectors. Just turn it back to stock once you get it up and running like Dave said

lesrrt

03 LB7
Dec 1, 2018
PortDeposit , MD
Just ordered an Airdog tonight; replacing the rubber FICM lines. What size are they, 5/8? Also, do I have to post several times before the site allows me to post pics? This is the norm for other sites as well.
Thanks again , gentleman Pics soon?

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
You have to resize the pictures to be fairly small to post here. 1024x768 or smaller and less than 195KB file size. Or you can upload them to a image sharing site and link them, or you can use the phone app Tapatalk, which automates all that for you.

Long ago the site used to auto-resize large images, but that appears to have broken when they moved to the new servers and turned on encryption.

lesrrt

03 LB7
Dec 1, 2018
PortDeposit , MD
Just removed my tank installating my Airdog. Rust has taken over my fuel lines, unfortunately. Can these lines be modified with diesel tubing hose/clamps. Or, is it just a loss and should I just order a whole new feed and return lines. Still unable to post pics until 10 posts.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Just did a search on the above. Many others have had this problem too.
Reading now.

For what it’s worth all mine are going to rubber hose using cushion clips to secure it to the frame. -10 (5/8) feed and return as well as the factory return from the injectors/cp3 pumps.

lesrrt

03 LB7
Dec 1, 2018
PortDeposit , MD
Thanks for the reply Bd, appreciated!
Rather than 420$ for a complete SS lines to go kit, I will just modify with marine line. I think I need lengths of 3/8 return and 1/2" feed, respectively. The whole line circuit are rusted mainly in the joints and bend areas. Going to remove the fuel cooler and get a better analysis of what I need to go forward weather permitting. Glad I saw this when deciding a placement for the Airdog. Sucks I don't have my pole barn built yet; hope my crypto comes in soon. And, Ill try to get some pics up. Thanks again:thumb:

lesrrt

03 LB7
Dec 1, 2018
PortDeposit , MD
One more thing:
What's the part # for my Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor that will go on my federal Y bridge. The CA MAP sensor is different, obviously.
Thanks!

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
One more thing:
What's the part # for my Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor that will go on my federal Y bridge. The CA MAP sensor is different, obviously.
Thanks!
They are the same sensor, you just need a MAP boot. I even gave you the part number earlier:
Can you re-use the CA turbo pressure sensor [MAP] on the Federal Y-bridge?
Yes. Replace the hose on the MAP with a seal, GM part #16194007. I believe the seal used on the LS MAP fits, and that's basically free at any junkyard. The part number listed is $7-10 unless your dealer is greedy. The trick is holding the sensor into the Y-bridge. The GM bracket is discontinued, and I couldn't find one anywhere in the US. What I did was cut the CA bracket down and tweak it so the sensor and holes lined up. It was pretty easy, all it took was a hack saw and a vice to bend it in. Threw some black paint on so it wouldn't rust, and it looks factory.
This is not speculation or guesswork, I did this exact thing on my Suburban. I even provided a picture of the bracket to make to hold it in:
Here's the bracket I made out of the CA bracket.
View attachment 48664
If you don't believe me, go look up the part number on RockAuto or at a dealer. It's the same. The new sensor comes with the seal, and you take the seal off and connect the hose on the CA model intake.