Adding air to pickup for air trailer brakes.

timberben

Jan 8, 2012
i Would like to be able to tow trailers that have air brakes With my 12 GMC 3500. A tilt deck equip and a short log trailer. I know that I need to add a compressor tank gauge lines glad hands, that part is simple enough. I already have built a similar compressor setup on my 03 Chevy to control my air bags on the fly. My question is how or what controller do I need to correctly supply the air to the trailer brake? I tow both trailers with my water truck mostly so I’m not converting the trailers to electric brakes. I know this can be done and it is simple. Google is no help as it doesn’t understand the question. If anyone has this system or knows how to accomplish what I want to do please point me in a direction. How do I send the right amount of air pressure to the trailer? Will I be able to use my factory brake controller to control a valve that supply’s the air to the trailer? thanks

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I'm not sure there is anything that does this. At least nothing I could find. I did see a thread on another site where someone wanted to do as you and ended up having to make one.

Incase you didn't know, air brakes take a lot of air and electric air compressors will not normally be able to keep up. More common to use an engine mounted compressor for the high output CFM

timberben

Jan 8, 2012
Yes I do know that. I know this can be done and I have seen the setup before although it was 20 years ago. I have already built a system that will supply enough air. Two large viair compressors and a 7 gallon tank gauges on the a pillar pressure switch on tank 200psi off 180psi on relay safety valve paddle switch’s on dash(left and right to inflate and deflate air bags) and a few fittings and couplers. The system works great for filling tires small 1/4 air ratchet air nozzle. The system has saved the day many times with flat tires. I have the air supply figured out just need a way to control the air to the trailer. I don’t plan on towing the trailers fully loaded as I will overload the pickups capabilities. I am a logging contractor and work in very remote areas. I need a way to get the trailers to and from the job sites. A pickup is more economical than my water truck. The log trailer I light enough that I think I can move it without the use of brakes but I still need air to release the brakes. I don’t want to cage the pots every time I move them. I think I can rig something up to supply enough air to release the pots. I have talked to a few truck shops and apparently there in nothing that will do what I want.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Are you wanting to modulate the air pressure to work with your truck brakes or just an on off setup to release them to be able to move the trailer?

If the latter then I don't see why you couldn't just add the appropriate air fitting at the back of the truck to supply the pressure with nothing else needed.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Look for either Electric actuated or Hydraulic actuated relay valves. There are some ABS valves that can be used (with some tinkering) to provide proportional signal air using the electric brake controller.

You will, of course, have to mimic essentially all of the normal air brake system. But you already know that.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Look for either Electric actuated or Hydraulic actuated relay valves. There are some ABS valves that can be used (with some tinkering) to provide proportional signal air using the electric brake controller.

You will, of course, have to mimic essentially all of the normal air brake system. But you already know that.
I've been looking at some of those. Seems they all take several seconds to go from fully closed to fully open if they are the modulating type. The ABS method might be a way to go if he can find one that will understand a simple variable voltage

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
I've seen a few setups from hot shot drivers that have air brakes on there trailers. None seem to have automatic breaking but in stead use the column mounted air valve and just manually apply.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
I've been looking at some of those. Seems they all take several seconds to go from fully closed to fully open if they are the modulating type. The ABS method might be a way to go if he can find one that will understand a simple variable voltage
Relay valves are instantaneous. Normally used on trailers to translate low volume signal air pressure to the brakes using the trailer's air tank. there are a few aimed at the hydraulic to air conversion.

mico-inc-hydraulicoverair-relay-valves

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Relay valves are instantaneous. Normally used on trailers to translate low volume signal air pressure to the brakes using the trailer's air tank. there are a few aimed at the hydraulic to air conversion.

I thought you were talking about a modulating valve. Yeah solenoid valves are quick but if he uses one on the brake application side then it will lock up the brakes even with the littlest pedal application. Solenoid could be used to hold the trailer when it is stationary and release it when he wants to drive. And as jlawles2 said, he can always mount a hand operated valve to manually apply the trailer brakes

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal

Something like this may work too

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
The issue in the hydraulic over air might be input pressure. It states 2,000psi. IIRC hydraulic brake pressure can be much more than that.

bssifter

Nov 27, 2023
Ca.
The Mico valve will not work with brake fluid. The Mfg. said it is meant for tractors with hydraulic oil used for braking. I am waiting to hear back if the Automann valve will work. Has anyone done this?

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
I'll have to dig in.. one of my threads there a link to hydraulically controlled air valve that is not on/off or open/closed but can be throttled via hydraulic pressure..
Unfortunately air controlled HYD valves are substantially more common..
Including air over HYD brake setups

bssifter

Nov 27, 2023
Ca.
I'll have to dig in.. one of my threads there a link to hydraulically controlled air valve that is not on/off or open/closed but can be throttled via hydraulic pressure..
Unfortunately air controlled HYD valves are substantially more common..
Including air over HYD brake setups
I hope I can make this work somehow. If I wasn't in Ca. my 07' freightliner with 58k original miles would be legal and I wouldn't be having to downsize. Worst case I will have to use a hand operated lever.