Ad2 165 o-ring kit?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Coming up on 10 years of owning/running my ad2 165 and it started dripping a bit of diesel after work today. 99% sure it just needs o-rings on the fittings and I’m sure in the manifold around the motor to be safe.

Anyone got a part number or know if they make a kit? Little late in the day to call them now. It’s one of the first gen ones when they were first released so no idea if the 4g motor stuff will work. Don’t want to really use harbor freight/chinese o rings either lol

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
When my motor burnt up and they sent me a new one they sent new oring kit with it. I'm sure they would send you just the orings.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
They do make a kit. They send them out with every new pump I've ever installed.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
hmmm i wonder if i have some then. i saved the box and shoved it in my attic. Ill check tonight.

That said, since i need to fix it this weekend. You guys think these things are buna or viton seals? i may just pick up an assortment kit and see if i cant piece it together.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
hmmm i wonder if i have some then. i saved the box and shoved it in my attic. Ill check tonight.

That said, since i need to fix it this weekend. You guys think these things are buna or viton seals? i may just pick up an assortment kit and see if i cant piece it together.
When my motor burned out and I swapped to the 4G, the seals didn't look like viton. I think most of them were normal cheap rubber O-rings, so if you have a seal assortment, you might be good to go. Going to viton shouldn't hurt anything, and isn't much more money.

Are you sure it is one of the O-rings leaking? Mine started leaking shortly before the motor burned out, and what had happened was the shaft seal failed, filling the motor with diesel. The diesel started pushing out through the motor breather, which comes out near the motor to manifold interface, and I initially thought it was just a weeping O-ring, so I ignored it. A few hours of runtime later, the motor seized up.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
When my motor burned out and I swapped to the 4G, the seals didn't look like viton. I think most of them were normal cheap rubber O-rings, so if you have a seal assortment, you might be good to go. Going to viton shouldn't hurt anything, and isn't much more money.

Are you sure it is one of the O-rings leaking? Mine started leaking shortly before the motor burned out, and what had happened was the shaft seal failed, filling the motor with diesel. The diesel started pushing out through the motor breather, which comes out near the motor to manifold interface, and I initially thought it was just a weeping O-ring, so I ignored it. A few hours of runtime later, the motor seized up.

its possible dave. i cant get a real good look up in there as my fuel cooler is tucked up next to it. some days its a drip here and there, others i get a small puddle. its been weeping for about 3 months like this though. maybe longer. i thought it was my fuel cooler fittings about a year ago but made no difference when i tighten them up. never dripped, just a weeped enough to attract dirt back then. I didnt get a puddle till yesterday, just drips the last few weeks. Ive been dailying it since the tracker is um.... bent :rofl:

truck must not get used enough or it doesnt like "arizona cold weather" because the lower oil pan started leaking, the lift pump leak, got a front end clunk that started, and just had inj 2 connector loose connection on the way to work. my fuel sump needs replacing too as the rheostat on the sender goes wonky at 1/8 tank and lower, best part is i just filled up yesterday and noticed that..... So this weekend ive got some wrenching to do. Going to put the updated fishing tuning plug ends on inj 7 and 2. ive already ice picked inj 7 (just bent the inner metal connector down, didnt punch through it) but rather stop the issue all together.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
its possible dave. i cant get a real good look up in there as my fuel cooler is tucked up next to it. some days its a drip here and there, others i get a small puddle. its been weeping for about 3 months like this though. maybe longer. i thought it was my fuel cooler fittings about a year ago but made no difference when i tighten them up. never dripped, just a weeped enough to attract dirt back then. I didnt get a puddle till yesterday, just drips the last few weeks. Ive been dailying it since the tracker is um.... bent :rofl:

truck must not get used enough or it doesnt like "arizona cold weather" because the lower oil pan started leaking, the lift pump leak, got a front end clunk that started, and just had inj 2 connector loose connection on the way to work. my fuel sump needs replacing too as the rheostat on the sender goes wonky at 1/8 tank and lower, best part is i just filled up yesterday and noticed that..... So this weekend ive got some wrenching to do. Going to put the updated fishing tuning plug ends on inj 7 and 2. ive already ice picked inj 7 (just bent the inner metal connector down, didnt punch through it) but rather stop the issue all together.
When it rains it pours, right? I just went through all the little detail stuff on the Suburban, so it's fine so far, but my truck decided to open up a couple coolant leaks. Looks like both heater lines started weeping, my turbo thermostat delete plate welds started bubbling up coolant through the powder coat, and my PCV lines are weeping oil through the tube itself. Never seen that before, probably because I used crappy heater line for PCV. Probably the same crappy heater line that's leaking coolant lol

Hopefully your AirDog is just simple O-rings for your schedule's sake. But I am loving the upgraded 4G motor on mine. So quiet!

Sent from my Cat S60 using Tapatalk

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
When it rains it pours, right? I just went through all the little detail stuff on the Suburban, so it's fine so far, but my truck decided to open up a couple coolant leaks. Looks like both heater lines started weeping, my turbo thermostat delete plate welds started bubbling up coolant through the powder coat, and my PCV lines are weeping oil through the tube itself. Never seen that before, probably because I used crappy heater line for PCV. Probably the same crappy heater line that's leaking coolant lol

Hopefully your AirDog is just simple O-rings for your schedule's sake. But I am loving the upgraded 4G motor on mine. So quiet!

Sent from my Cat S60 using Tapatalk

lol least im not the only one! misery loves company :roflmao:. I cant bitch about mine. its never been "loud". certainly never hear it when the truck is running and honestly the electric fan on the fuel cooler is louder than the pump. its always been quiet in relation to most AD i hear but this one is one of the OG good ones before they changed up the mfg of the motors long ago. i lucked out on that.

AD called me back, got a kit on the way just incase i dont have it or i dont have the right o-rings. They are just normal Buna which seems acceptable for the fuel it sees.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
So o-ring kit came in yesterday.... Didnt come with the seal that mine is leaking from.

HZH7JcHl.jpg

Lgde2GCl.jpg

AD says its non-servicable. buddy, i just punched the thing out, its a typical press in seal but with a double seal lip to it (like a crank seal or wheel seal) but with an o-ring backing where the spring would be. Anyhow, they say they are going to send me the whole pump head assembly now. Asked them to next day air AM delivery for tomorrow, waiting on a confirmation email back from them on that.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
So o-ring kit came in yesterday.... Didnt come with the seal that mine is leaking from.

AD says its non-servicable. buddy, i just punched the thing out, its a typical press in seal but with a double seal lip to it (like a crank seal or wheel seal) but with an o-ring backing where the spring would be. Anyhow, they say they are going to send me the whole pump head assembly now. Asked them to next day air AM delivery for tomorrow, waiting on a confirmation email back from them on that.
This is the point where you spend the $50 to get the 4G upgrade. :thumb: Because even though you got the quietest 1G motor ever, the new one probably won't be.

Are there any part numbers on that seal? I couldn't see any in the photo. I doubt it is custom to their application. Might be nice to document it here in case someone else has the same problem.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Does Arizona not have businesses that specialize in seals?

hell if i know. im going to look now though :D

This is the point where you spend the $50 to get the 4G upgrade. :thumb: Because even though you got the quietest 1G motor ever, the new one probably won't be.

Are there any part numbers on that seal? I couldn't see any in the photo. I doubt it is custom to their application. Might be nice to document it here in case someone else has the same problem.

yeah they just called me, im getting a whole 4g AD2 165 now covered by AD and next day AM shipping. i paid shipping, 160 bucks but for a new 165 and needing it for my trip tomorrow, id say i made out.

AZlml

Jun 5, 2016
Goodyear, AZ
Martin Fluid Power in PHX. It's off Broadway and 40th st. I used to get all my irregular seals for hydraulic cylinders there.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
*whistling* That shipping bill is gonna be EX-pensive! I sure hope we dont screw it up for you, James.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Better not Tom or I’m calling you .

Only 160 bucks to do that. I’m good with that considering

Just FYI, mic’ed the old seal. It’s .749 tall, .25 wide and the shaft grooves the seal rides in is .290 in one and .303 in another.

Would that mean a double lip seal for a .3101 shaft would work?

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
So slammed the lift pump together Thursday after I left work early to head out for the dunes. I’ve clearly misjudged “quiet” for these new pumps cause holy shit it’s literally silent! Everyone always said they were quiet but damn, didn’t know that quiet. With the fan on the fuel cooler I had to unplug the pump just to feel if it was working lol.