acetone

dmaxfireman

'Can do' kind of guy
Apr 8, 2007
CT
interesting, i may go pick some up today... anybody ever hear of damaging effects before i do this?

on edit, did some reading and there is a lot of conflicting reports on whether the acetone will dampen the lubricity of the diesel, and with the lack of lubricity in ulsd maybe it would be better with a bio mix??

Last edited:

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
I tried it for about a month put about 2000 miles on my truck adding accetone to every tank

It did nothing at all.....I did a ton of research and everything the research said seem to make sence. But I never noticed a thing and I was logging to see if it maybe made some slight changes there Nada, nothing.

If you are going to try it it is best to mix it before putting it in the truck or at the very least use a funnel and wash it down with diesel.

Vrabel

TOYAHOLIC
May 22, 2008
Hewitt, NJ
I heard of it used in gassers. actually supposed to clean cat. never heard of being used in diesels though. A guy I worked with used 8oz per tank in a caravan. Swore by it.

Last edited:

Accelerator

On a Time Out
Mar 12, 2009
I tried it for about a month put about 2000 miles on my truck adding accetone to every tank

It did nothing at all.....I did a ton of research and everything the research said seem to make sence. But I never noticed a thing and I was logging to see if it maybe made some slight changes there Nada, nothing.

If you are going to try it it is best to mix it before putting it in the truck or at the very least use a funnel and wash it down with diesel.

how much did you use in each tank?

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
If improving fuel mileage was as simple as adding acetone (a wive's tale since the 1930's), don't you think professional petroleum chemists would have figured it out by now?

Moth balls
Fuel Pills
Acetone
Fuel Magnets
Hydrogen Generators
Super Magic Carbs
Air Swirlers

Are all scams that pray on folk who can't tell when an "expert" is lying to make a buck.

I consider companies that do that as nothing but thieves exploiting loopholes in the laws.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
One interesting case was during a mileage test of fuel pills by some college students, IIRC. When the owners were told they were running fuel pills, they picked up 10% mileage improvement.

Whether or not the FUEL PILLS were actually put in the tank.

Hard to believe that a placebo would work on a car, but they do.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
I can't believe they make a Tornado (air swirler) for a turbo diesel, and claim it improves mileage. Exactly what can a tube with fins in it do that a 100,000 rpm compressor wheel can't? That guy made millions by lying to people.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I can't believe they make a Tornado (air swirler) for a turbo diesel, and claim it improves mileage. Exactly what can a tube with fins in it do that a 100,000 rpm compressor wheel can't? That guy made millions by lying to people.

Lexus uses them and you will find one on the LBZ air cleaner as well.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
I still dont understand people that run all these stupid witch-brew (no offence Kat :D :p: ) snake oil concocksions through their 300 dollar fuel injectors, 500 dollar injection pump, and 10,000 dollar engine. (and then claim that theyve picked up 28 extra MPG's)

If I was THAT concerned about penny pinching and saving money on fuel, Id just not drive my truck as often...

Seriously. :rolleyes:

Drive your truck up to a fuel station, fill it up with whatever comes out of the "diesel" nozzle, put the cap back on the fuel filler, and be on your way. Stop trying to get water from a stone.

ben

Last edited:

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
I always thought the "Tornado" was one of the biggest window lickin POS out there! Like pat said, the turbo would do a better job if it were true. And if it did, not like theres gonna be swirling air all through the I/C, pipes, head ports, valves:rofl: Even on normally asperated cars, the throttle blade(s) are goin to stop any swirling. AND a radial flow is less desireable, it slows the velocity down. There is ONE instance where a "tornado" might do somthing positive and we've chated about it before. That is to place one close to the compressor blades to turn the incoming air right into the leading edge of the blades since the turbo supposedlly will spin the air the other way somewhat.

The fuel magnets are a pretty stupid one.

One of my personal faves were these little black/charcoal colored pellets that if your engine was worn, smoking, low compression, or a host of other problems, you pulled your spark plugs out and drop one pellet in each cylinder and reinstalled the SP and fire it up!:rofl: And it smashes them and the magical happens!

I'd rather try the old school trick they used to seat in fresh hard-chromed piston rings...Sprinkle some Bon-Ami, Ajax, Comet powder in the intake:D

Acetone seems like a bad idea, it eats paint, its basically what finger nail polish remover is. Real dry, id be afraid of scoring somthin up.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
how much did you use in each tank?

2-4oz

I read this post on what a guy named Hippy was doing and then tried it myself

If you put to much in you can hear a slight pinging noise,might not of been from the accetone but it seemed like it was

The point of me trying it was not for mileage it was more for the chemistry change that i thought was needed from overfueling.

Still i wont go back to it

If I was THAT concerned about penny pinching and saving money on fuel, Id just not drive my truck as often...

Seriously. :rolleyes:

ben

Behold the secret is out:eek: It will also save on wear and tear.....your so smart Ben:cool: Seriously. :rolleyes:

username taken

Aug 26, 2009
I've heard of people using Toluene in gassers before, supposedly improves octane, energy per gallon, etc. Avgas actually uses a significant amount of toluene - Chevron avgas is around 14% toluene.

Mixed it at about 5-1 with gasoline, and it did seem to increase power significantly in my quad - I was able to beat people up sand hills at the dunes that I never could before. I was actually able to pull a full gear taller up some of the hills. Be aware, this quad is far from stock - with overbore, high compression, cam, bigger valves, bored throttle body, etc. so results may not be consistent on more mild tunes.

Toluene has a R+M/2 octane of 114, and mixed at 20% with 91 octane gas should yield around 96 octane. Energy per gallon is higher, due to increased fuel density - around .87g/ml, as opposed to gas with .72-.74. At 20% mixed with pump gas, energy density should increase from an average of .73g/ml to arount .76g/ml, so a 4% theoretical power increase is possible from energy density alone. Factor in anti-knock ignition retardation with the octane increase, especially in high perf engines, and the potential becomes much higher.

Never heard of it being used with diesels, though. Anyone have any experience or input?

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
We need cetane, not octane AFAIK?

Perhaps it is the same idea as acetone....I think the whole theory behind it is to decrease the surface tension of diesel fuel

toluene might be good for your coolant system though???Or if you have some coco leaves and you need to.............uh nevermind:angel:

Lonnie

Horsepower Addict
Yes, tolulene is good for gas engines. It is 116 octane & has a near identical air/fuel ratio to gasoline. Works great as an octane booster up to a 20% mix. For the price it works very well & you can buy it at better paint stores like Sherwin Williams.

As for AV gas, it is very good for the price, but be aware of the lead if you are running O2 sensors. My Camaro & Quad both work well with it.

As for acetone, I would let my wife remove her finger polish with it, but not put it in my truck.

Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
Yes, tolulene is good for gas engines. It is 116 octane & has a near identical air/fuel ratio to gasoline. Works great as an octane booster up to a 20% mix. For the price it works very well & you can buy it at better paint stores like Sherwin Williams.

As for AV gas, it is very good for the price, but be aware of the lead if you are running O2 sensors. My Camaro & Quad both work well with it.

As for acetone, I would let my wife remove her finger polish with it, but not put it in my truck.

Old turbo CART cars used to run off of almost pure tolulene....IIRC it is the most used chem in a refinery to up the ocatane of gas.

steakman

Diesel Nut...
Aug 31, 2009
Barrie, Ontario
Bio D, Stanadyne...sure.

Acetone..???
Uh..other than Xylene, Acetone is likely the most wicked reducer I know of.! Yikes..& puttin it in your fuel.?? :rofl: LOL, sorry, but that is something I'd watch but never do..

Stk