A sad day that brings back a funny UPS memory....

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
One of my fellow drivers passed away this past week at the age of 61. Bob had been retired for a few years. He was a great guy, and an even better UPS man, one of the best I ever knew. Besides being a driver that I looked up to and have tried to emulate over the years, his passing brings back memories of one of the most hilarious and infamous incidents ever to happen to a UPS driver....

The "Mustard Ladies"! :roflmao:

when it happened, 4/22/80:
attachment.php

and their sentencing, 3/15/81:
attachment.php

As a result of this embarrassing situation, UPS started the policy of us having to "pull the keys" at every stop.
Bob took a lot of ribbing about this for years afterward, and was always good-natured about it. Honestly, how could you not laugh about it?

R.I.P. my friend. I hope I've made you proud. We will all miss you. :angel:

Attachments

• Mustard Ladies 4.22.1980.JPG
    Mustard Ladies 4.22.1980.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 231
  • Mustard Ladies 3.15.81.JPG
    Mustard Ladies 3.15.81.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:

Charles English

Jan 31, 2013
Thanks

Tom, thank you for the post. I have been looking all over the internet for the articles that you posted. I am Bob's eldest son. If you were one of the many UPS drivers that attended the funeral, I thank you. It was quite impressive that so many of his work mates attended.

I clearly remember the day dad came home after this happened. Everything in the article is true except, dad was not running after the truck. He had already caught it and was standing on the rear bumper when he waved down the police car. What my father thought was most funny is that the officers asked if the naked ladies had stole anything. Pops asked where do you think they would have hidden it?

Anyways thank you so very much for posting the articles.

Charles

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
You're welcome Charles. :) I was the driver in uniform at the funeral. Your Dad meant a lot to everyone at the Lansing Center. His passing was a shock to everybody.

This forum is what I do for a hobby (Duramax Diesel pickups), just like how your Dad loved that GTX he had.